sum of all pixel/cell values of a raster map

11-22-2011 02:10 PM
DeyalaAlazem
New Contributor
Hello!

I'm trying to sum all cell values of a raster map... I tried ArcToolbox > Spatial Analyst Tools > Zonal > Zonal Statistics > SUM, but it keeps marking the input raster data with eroor icon and gives me an error msg: The input is not within the defined domain. ERROR 000863: Invalid GP data type.

Is there any other way to sum all cell values, or how can I fix the error of my input raster layer?

Thank you!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DeyalaAlazem
New Contributor
How can I Sum all pixel values of a raster map?

Thanx.
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
You can use either the Zonal Statistics tool or the Zonal Statistics as Table tool to sum the pixels.  The Zonal Statistics as Table will provide your results in a table where the Zonal Statistics result will be a raster with a single value.

The error message you are getting (Error 000863) is probably from using the same raster that is to be summed as the input.  The input zone layer must either be a integer raster or a polygon file.

You can either use a polygon file that covers the entire raster or the Raster Domain tool to create a boundary raster.  Then use this polygon as the input zone and the raster to be summed as the input value raster.  Specify the Sum statistics and the results will be returned as a table or raster depending on which tool you used.
0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Deyala

The easiest way is to take the average value from the statistics and multiply it by the number of pixels.

Have Fun
Mody
Pai-FengV
New Contributor II

For finding the sum, ArcGIS pro really screwed it up.

In the original ArcGIS, you can easily find the sum by using the statistic of the raster.

ArcGIS pro now must ask you to use geoprocessing tools to get the sum. It becomes way less effective, especially if we consider the fact that ArcGIS pro has already helped us to estimate minimum, maximum, mean, and SD values but neglected the sum