Show markers then Edit marker locations From SQL database table

11-15-2011 01:00 PM
RussellBurman1
New Contributor
I have been assigned to: produce web app with a map showing the geo-referenced location of our sample sites that are stored with an xy value. I need to query our database (sql) display markers on the map (US Topos Base Map) Allow users to correct marker locations and save the updated data. I have done this with Google API V3 but now I must do the same with ESRI ArcGIS Javascript API. Does anyone have some insight as to which "Example" might give me solid ground work to build this web app?
Thank You for your time!
Russ
0 Kudos
4 Replies
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
The easiest way to do this will be to use ArcGIS Server to publish your data as a map service. Depending on the number of points you're displaying, you can display your data using a dynamic map service layer or a feature layer. If you were previously using google, then you'll probably be able to use a feature layer. Do you have ArcGIS Server? There's also the possibility of using ArcGIS Online, but that won't talk directly to your SQL database.
0 Kudos
RussellBurman1
New Contributor
Thank your for your insight. Yes we do have ArcGIS server so I will follow your suggestion and start down this path. I have some homework to do.
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Just curious...how were you connecting the data from your database to Google Maps?
0 Kudos
RussellBurman1
New Contributor
I followed the example at http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/051910-1.aspx#postadlink In a nutshell the map was constructed with a very long Client Side Script that is build within the asp.net page on the server and passed to the JS file that constructs and displays the Google map with all markers when the page loads. A SQL DataReader was used within the VB.net code on the aspx page and I looped through each record and constructed each marker. I'm not in the office at the time so I cannot share with you any code snippets. I would be glade to if you are interested.
R.
0 Kudos