mikruger

Point data to 10 km square occurence

Discussion created by mikruger on Nov 15, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 9, 2014 by simontarr13
Hi,

I am new to ArcGIS and have run into a challenge with my data that I hope someone can help with.  I have searched the forums and the web for answer but don't seem to be able to find the right answer (possibly because I'm not asking the right question!).

I have approx 60000 points in a shapefile.  The points represent sitings of multiple species.  Many of the points occur at the same location for one or many species.  The data is plotted at 1m resolution

I need to be able to do two things (1) I need to show for each species whether it occurs at different resolutions (1,2,5 and 10km) and (2) I need to combine the points for the same species at the same location into one point (ultimately I will convert to raster for comparison with environmental data/land cover etc.).

Can anyone help?  Even just to know what tools I would need (I can figure out how to use them) would help as at the moment I don't know where to go.

I know how to select by attribute and have been able to seperate each species into it's own shapefile.  I think that the tool I need is to aggregate the point data somehow but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance and and sorry for the ramblings of a novice.

Outcomes