OLE frame in my map export

11-13-2011 08:50 PM
XingLee
New Contributor II
Hi,

I'm trying to export/print maps using Data Driven Pages, but everytime I do an "OLE frame" text box appears in all my pdfs. I am using a pre-defined layout but I haven't imbedded any images/spreadsheets, etc so I don't know what is causing the problem. this issue only occurs when I export maps using Data driven pages and does not happen at any other time.

I'm guessing that the problem lies deeper in how ArcGIS10.0 is reading my files, but I'm no whiz with that. Perhaps it's to do with my layout template...

Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisFox3
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Xing,

Would you be able to upload a map package to reproduce the issue?
0 Kudos
XingLee
New Contributor II
Turns out I had a residual object frame hidden under my data frame...
0 Kudos
RobMower
New Contributor
Hi,

Sorry for the thread revival, but I didn't see much point in starting a new one.

I too have this problem. I have a simple arcpy script that outputs to a map book PDF, which works fine, except for one of the layout elements which happens to be an OLE object (Word doc). The element is missing in the PDF; it just shows a blank frame where it should be with "(OLE Frame)" written inside. I have tried a blank mxd with just the OLE element inside as well as linking to two separate documents, both with standard fonts (Arial), but without any success. Normal exports from within ArcMap are fine.

Is there perhaps a parameter that needs to be set for the exportToPDF method for it to handle these elements correctly? Currently I have .exportToPDF(pdfPath,"ALL","","PDF_SINGLE_FILE"). I've tried setting embed_fonts="True" without any success.

I'm currently using ArcGIS 10 SP2 with Python 2.6.5.

Any ideas?

Thanks
0 Kudos
RobMower
New Contributor
This is likely to be related to the known issues described in the article below. The workaround of pasting the object into the mxd isn't really ideal for what I want to achieve.

http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/29569
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
This is a known limitation with OLE Objects and PDFs.

Jeff
0 Kudos