Is Spatial Analyst needed to have Raster to Polygon tool available in conversion tools?

11-07-2011 11:00 AM
emkay
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

Some time ago, I was working with ArcInfo with all available extensions. I am now looking to get ArcView with no extensions. In looking around ESRI's website, it is unclear to me weather I can get ArcView without Spatial Analyst and be able to perform "Raster to Polygon" (conversion tools).

For example:
http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisengine/java/gp_toolref/conversion_tools/polygon_to_raster_c...
explicitly states that "polygon to raster" requires spatial analyst, but a link at the botton of the page that leads to the equivalant page for "raster to polygon" does not explicitly state that Spatial Analyst is required.

Also I don't know if anything changed from arcView 9.3 to 10 in terms of raster conversion and having a spatial analyst license?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
This tool requires Spatial Analyst or 3D Analyst if you have a ArcView or ArcEditor license.  If you have an ArcInfo license you do not need Spatial Analyst or 3D Analyst/

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001200000030000000

Licensing Information
ArcView: Requires Spatial Analyst or 3D Analyst
ArcEditor: Requires Spatial Analyst or 3D Analyst
ArcInfo: Yes
0 Kudos
emkay
by
New Contributor II
Thanks for the clarification. Is there a list of functions in toolboxes that ship with ArcView/ArcEditor but only work when users have certain other extensions? If not could provide a list?

This tool requires Spatial Analyst or 3D Analyst if you have a ArcView or ArcEditor license.  If you have an ArcInfo license you do not need Spatial Analyst or 3D Analyst/

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001200000030000000

Licensing Information
ArcView: Requires Spatial Analyst or 3D Analyst
ArcEditor: Requires Spatial Analyst or 3D Analyst
ArcInfo: Yes
0 Kudos
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
The ArcGIS Desktop 10 Functionality Matrix has a list that you may find useful.

Patrick
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Curtis... that link should go somewhere in the help files.  Got anyone that you could suggest to get it included somewhere? It sure would make cruising arctoolbox a lot easier looking for the license level at the bottom of pages.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I poked around a bit and found they have done this by toolbox. Sounds like others have felt your pain and shared it already!

A quick tour of geoprocessing tool references—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Each toolbox now has has a licensing page and a page that tracks tool changes over time (VERY helpful for those of us that have to write tools that work across versions!)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes, I saw the per toolbox option, I like your find as well but obviously it doesnt track over time... perhaps a tool-time cube

0 Kudos