"COM Exception" and "Protected Memory" Errors

11-01-2011 07:52 AM
Labels (1)
JeffLefevre
New Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to delineate the drainage areas for stream monitoring stations.  I have the stations as points in a shapefile and am using NDHPlus data including elevation, fac, fdr, catchment, flowlines, and waterbodies. 

I'm having no success.  I keep getting a couple of different error messages.  Last week it was COM exception errors, this week protected memory errors.  I never resolved the COM error message problem so I am not sure if I will get it back when I resolve the protected memory errors or it if has somehow worked itself out.  

I have attempted to delineate using both an ArcView10 license and an ArcInfo10 license with the same outcome. I am using ArcHydro2.0.  When I was unsuccessful with point delineation I tried doing a batch delineation and got a error message reading "external component has thrown and exception!"

Does anyone have any ideas?  I have copied the error messages below.
Thanks so much for help anyone can offer!
Alicia
_______

Source point is not valid System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error HRESULT E_FAIL ahs been returned from a call to a COM component.
at ESRi.ArcGIS.Geoprocessing.GeoProcessorClass.Execute(String Name, IVariantArray ipValues, ITrackCancel)  at ESRI.APWR.ApHydro.GeometryHelper.WshDelineationFromPointAndAdjointCatchment(IRasterlayer flowDirRasterLayer, IRasterLayer strRasterLayer, IPoint pPoint, IFeatureClass catchmentFC, IFeatureClass adjointCatchmentFC, StringsWshIDFld, String& strMsg, Double dAreaCleanup Threshold) in C:\Projects\10_Final\ArcHydroTrools\src\ApHydro\GeometryHelper.vb:line 648

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory.  This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at ESRI.ArcGIS.Geoprocessing.GeoProcessorClass.Execute(String Name, IVariantArray ipValues, ITrackCancel pTrackCancel)
at ESRI.APWR. ApHydro.GeometryHelpter.WshDelineationFromPointAndAdjointCatchment(IRasterLayer flowDirRasterLayer, IRasterLayer strRasterLayer, IPoint pPoint, IFeatureClass catchmentFC, IFeatureClass adjointCatchmentFC, StringsWshIDFld, String sAggWshIDFld, String& strMsg, Double dAreaCleanup Threshold) in C:\Projects\10_Final\ArcHydro\GeometryHelpter.vb:line 679
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Alicia,

I'm having similar problems (the COMException error), and there is a similar post here:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/40476-Windows-Professional-64-bit-and-ArcHydro-Bugs-encountered

Nothing has been solved yet, but it might be worth monitoring it as well.

Cheers,

Brendan
0 Kudos
AlisonSloat
New Contributor
Alicia/Brendan,

Did you ever figure out the solution to your error message? I am getting the same COM message error when attempting the Catchment Polygon Processing. I have tried clearing the Temp folder, changing the extent, checking that the file path has no spaces, and so far nothing has worked.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Alison
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Alison,

For me, the problem was that I was trying to run a command that required an ArcInfo license, and I was only using and ArcEditor license.  However, the command you are trying to run should work fine with even an ArcView license as far as I understand.  Here are a couple things that you could try; none of them are any fun, since they require starting over, but it often seems that with Arc Hydro there isn't another way! 

1) Close all your Arc applications, and as you have previously done, clear the Temp folder.  Then start a new mxd in a new folder and start again from scratch (don't use any of the data you created previously with ArcHydro, only your base data).
2) If that doesn't work, I have gotten past other Arc Hydro errors by deleting my normal.mxd file.  This is a pain, because it resets all your toolbars, but in the end it was worth it for me.  I don't have time at the moment to go into detail on how to delete this file (Arc creates a new one automatically when you open Arc the next time), but you can find directions online.  I'd recommend making a backup of this file before you delete it, just in case.  Once it is deleted, open Arc again and start your ArcHydro workflow from scratch once again.

I hope you can get past this error!

Cheers,
Brendan
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos