Lesson 1 project data missing or absent

10-19-2011 12:14 PM
PeterHopkin1
New Contributor
Lesson 1, page 10: adding project data to the basemap.

My ESRI.gdb file opens, but appears to contain no layers, so I cannot access the Boundary shape File.

I have e-mailed a zipped-up copy of the .gdb file to the "Understanding GIS team" to see if the data is there.

Help!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
What release is the geodatabase (version 10? 9.3.x?) and what release of ArcMap are you using?

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
PeterHopkin1
New Contributor
Tim Ormsby responded to my problem within about twenty minutes of my e-mailing him:
here�??s my first suspicion about what�??s going on:

On Step 4C, you click the Connect To Folder button and navigate to the C\UGIS directory. You have to stop there and click OK on the Connect To Folder dialog box.

This will put your Add Data dialog box in the state shown below.(screenshot attached). Step 4D should then continue with double-clicking the ParkSite folder and subsequent folders inside the Add Data dialog box. At the end of that, the data should be visible.

If by chance you apply the Step 4D actions (the double-clicking of those folders and the geodatabase) while still working in the Connect To Folder dialog box, you�??ll get the same kind of result illustrated in the picture you sent.

I�??m hoping this is your case. In which case, you should be able simply to redo the steps and have everything work properly. (You can then go into the Catalog window in ArcMap�??or go into ArcCatalog�??to remove the dysfunctional folder connection. Just right-click on it in the catalog window and choose Disconnect Folder from the context menu.)

Let me know if this works

And it did work! Thanks Tim.
0 Kudos
MadhurDevkota
New Contributor
Hello Sirs:

I am just about to begin this video tutorial and I have no idea about getting the source file. Please suggest me where can I find the   source file(s)?
Thank you.

Madhur
0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Madhur,

The video tutorials are supplements to a book called "Understanding GIS: An ArcGIS Project Workbook." The book includes the working files on a DVD as well as a download code for a trial copy of the software (180 days). The videos are based on the first edition of the book which was published in 2011. There is now a second edition published in 2013. The videos are still quite relevant, but if you buy the book, you should be sure to buy the second edition. You can get the book directly from Esri or from Amazon.

The working files are not publicly available except with the book.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Tim Ormsby
0 Kudos
NatashaBaloch
New Contributor
Hi Tim,

I have purchased the book. However, my new laptop does not have a cd drive. How do I access the
project data?

Thanks,

N

Hi Madhur,

The video tutorials are supplements to a book called "Understanding GIS: An ArcGIS Project Workbook." The book includes the working files on a DVD as well as a download code for a trial copy of the software (180 days). The videos are based on the first edition of the book which was published in 2011. There is now a second edition published in 2013. The videos are still quite relevant, but if you buy the book, you should be sure to buy the second edition. You can get the book directly from Esri or from Amazon.

The working files are not publicly available except with the book.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Tim Ormsby
0 Kudos
GordonKnight
New Contributor II

I would find a laptop with a CD player and record the data to a external hard drive.

Then you could transfer the data from the external hard drive to your laptop.

0 Kudos