iOS 5 GM Seed/XCode 4.2

10-10-2011 08:05 AM
JeremyBixby
New Contributor III
I've just upgraded to iOS 5 GM seed and XCode 4.2.  I also upgraded the iOS SDK for ArcGIS Server from 2.0 to 2.01.  When I build (with iOS 5 as the base SDK) and run my app in the iPhone 5  simulator, the map service never displays.  It still works fine in the iPhone 4.3 simulator.  The base SDK at both the project and target levels is set to iOS 5; the deployment target is set to iOS 4.2.  Would this be a problem with the simulator?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
Could you please test the same with MapViewDemo which is getting installed with ArcGIS for iOS SDK at /Users/njarecha/Library/SDKs/Samples?

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
JeremyBixby
New Contributor III
Nimesh,

Thanks for the response.  I can get the MapViewDemo to run on the iPhone 5 simulator without problem.  I went through the build settings for both the MapViewDemo project and my project, the only difference between the two is that I am using LLVM-GCC compiler.  MapViewDemo uses Apple's LLVM compiler.  I switched to Apple's LLVM and my mapview still didn't display the map service.  Do you (or anybody else) have any other ideas about what might be causing this?
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
Is this happening with that service only?
Is it a dynamic or tiled layer? or any other layer?
Is it happening with all type of layers?

Try different type of layers and services...

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
JeremyBixby
New Contributor III
Nimesh,

I replaced my own map services with this one:
http://server.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/ESRI_StreetMap_World_2D/MapServer

and the map displays perfectly in my project.  When I replace my original map service with a different map service (that we host) I get the blank mapview again.  I am running ArcGIS Server 10.0.2800, which isn't the most current version of the software.  But I doubt that updating the server software is the answer because I see that the Esri sample server is also only running 10 SP1.  If your service works and mine doesn't, but both are on SP1, then the service pack wouldn't solve my issue.
0 Kudos
JeremyBixby
New Contributor III
The only other thing that is different between your Esri test services and my hosted map services is the projection.  I am using Kansas State Plane North (WKID 3419).  Would this be an issue?  I only ever use 1 map service with this particular mapview, and in this project in general.
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
I don't think so this spatial reference is the issue. Because, you mentioned that it works in 4.3 simulator but not in 5.0 simulator. Also, I tested the dynamic layer with this spatial reference in both simulator and it works fine. Is it possible for you to share the URL of your layer?

Layers with other spatial reference works in both simulator? devices?

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
JeremyBixby
New Contributor III
I figured out the issue.  On previous versions of the iOS SDK, the simulator would use wi-fi coordinates as the GPS location.  On iOS 5, it sends you to some place in San Francisco or more probably Cupertino.  Naturally, we only host map services that show data for the surrounding communities here in Kansas.  When it tried to zoom out to Cupertino, there was no data so it just showed a blank mapview.  I updated my device to iOS 5 yesterday and XCode/iOS 5 to the final 4.2 and 5 releases, and everything is running smoothly.  So to sum up, I was expecting iOS 5 to behave the same way that it had in iOS 4, with respect to LocationManager.  When it didn't, I assumed something was wrong.  Boy is my face red! 😮
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
Glad to know! 🙂
0 Kudos
JeremyBixby
New Contributor III
The other thing, is that in XCode 4 on Lion, there was some kind of bug where the simulator wouldn't show simulated GPS.  When I was running it on the iPhone Sim 4.3, it still kept that bug, which just defaulted to the default extent of my map service (without simulated GPS).  Anyway, problem solved, sorry about the issue.

Thanks,
Jeremy
0 Kudos