Fiber Editing Template

10-04-2011 10:55 AM
thadwester
New Contributor II
For most fiber networks, coils (maintenance loops, where slack coil is stored for furture use) are apart of the fiber network.  Is there a way to include these extra lengths of coils into the existing fiber network?  Similarly, in rural areas, where pedestals are used to link fiber networks, is it possible to include the extra length of fiber that is consumed from the road to the pedestal?

Basically, I'm trying to create an accurate distance number from a building to a given point along the fiber, and this includes coils, and fiber consumed in pedestals.

Any soultions?  I was hoping I could just type in the distance, or coil legth and have it be tallied up when I went to calculate the distance.

Thanks,
Thad
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkReddick
New Contributor III
Hi,

Couple of options here Thad but there is no automatic tallying of length on the cable at the moment. There are the Measured Length and Calculated Length attributes on cables. There is also a relationship from a cable to a Maintenance Loop (not a feature, just a table) on which there is an additional length attribute.

Let me know if these fit the need? (point noted about extra auto calc)
Thanks,

mark
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm looking to model fiber coil in the best way possible before we move into using a geometric network and/or a full-fledged 3rd party software. I put a new question out on the forums but wondering if you have any opinions? Just draw extra drop line and make it type = coil or create a coil point feature class and put it on the pole? Looks like from this comment above that in the Esri fiber editing network it's just kept as a table? Thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Kudos
thadwester
New Contributor II
Mark,
Thanks for all of your support via email. You guys really went above and beyond to answer my questions, and I appreciate it.

Thad Wester
GIS contractor
Sandhill Telephone Coopererative
Jefferson, SC
0 Kudos