rlwatson

Windows 8

Discussion created by rlwatson on Sep 18, 2011
I just got back from the Microsoft Build conference which focused on Windows 8 and have a couple of questions based on that.

1) What is the plan with regards to providing an API set which works for Metro style applications?  I posted this earlier http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/39623-Windows-8-SDK.

2) One of the key focuses for Microsoft has been performance and in particular they use the async pattern.  For desktop applications based on ArcMap we would love to use the same pattern in order to improve performance.  I think that the issue in doing this relates to the lack of support for multi-threading by ArcObjects.  I understand the "threads in isolation" model.  What I want to to is to kick off an asyc Task to fetch the data I need and the access that data on another thread later.  If the ArcObject calls all marshal to the creation thread (STA) then this is not that useful.  If making ArcObjects multi-threaded is too hard then perhaps there is some middle ground possible where you only allow a single thread to access an ArcObject at a time.  It has been a long time since I studied the COM threading models.

Outcomes