Collect Data with Photo Attachment - iPhone

09-13-2011 10:26 AM
RamonLeal_Pessoa
New Contributor II
Hi,

I need collect data on my iPhone using ArcGIS for iOS.

So, I created a FeatureService on ArcGIS Server 10  and put this services on a map at ArcGIS.com (The features in this services are point with attachments.)

I access this map in my iPhone through the ArcGIS App.

Then, I can collect new data, putting attribute features, but a I don´t know how to capture one picture and put into attachments from the new feature.

How this work at iPhone?

How to capture a new feature, insert values to attributes, capture a picture and put it into feature attachment?

Any link, demo or documentation that help me?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
If your feature layer in a feature service supports attachment then go to the web map you created in the ArcGIS.com. Select the feature layer and go to Configure Pop-up. Check the check-box "Show feature attachments...". Now, you should be able to attach the photo in ArcGIS for iOS app.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
DavidCarpenter
Occasional Contributor
Thank you for your post Nimesh, it was really helpful.  Related to this I now have another issue. 

I can successfully take a photo with my iPhone as an attachment and sync it to my server.  Using ArcMap I can confirm that the photo has made the trip and is attached to the feature.  The problem is when I try to view that attachment using the ArcGIS.com viewer or ArcGIS Explorer Online I get an error from the server:
--------------
ArcGIS Services Directory
Error
Server Error - The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

Code: 500
--------------

Do I need to enable any specific permissions in IIS to allow external applications to view the photo attachments?
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Check your server output directories under your service properties to make sure they are pointing to the correct location.
Let me know if this works out for you.
Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
DavidCarpenter
Occasional Contributor
Russ....I can't thank you enough.  Turns out I had two output directories, one the D drive (more disk space) and one on C drive.  IIS was referencing the one on D but ArcGIS Server as specified in the service properties was writing to the one on C.  Quick edit of the virtual directory path in IIS and I am good to go.
0 Kudos
RichardCitkowicz
New Contributor III
If your feature layer in a feature service supports attachment then go to the web map you created in the ArcGIS.com. Select the feature layer and go to Configure Pop-up. Check the check-box "Show feature attachments...". Now, you should be able to attach the photo in ArcGIS for iOS app.

Regards,
Nimesh

Well in 10.1 when I go to publish a map service using the Service Editor and I do not see a "Operations allow" checkbox to support attachments. Is this in another location? My options are "Create Delete Query Update"

Thank  You.
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
Please go through this doc.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos