ArcGIS ENC permit number

09-09-2011 04:03 PM
ConradoRudorff
New Contributor
I would like to use S-57 chart data in the ArcGIS to produce a DEM for research purposes. As a test, I have used the geodatabase model to import Electronic Navigational Charts (ENC) .000 files from the NOAA Coastal Services Center.

I am now trying to purchase S-57 ENCs for my study site in Brazil. These are not available for free and the vendors are requesting an 'ENC permit number'. From what I could understand they use this permit number to encrypt the data so that it can be viewed only in the correspondent software from which it was obtained. They can not sell such ENCs without the permit number. Does ArcGIS have an ENC permit number that I can provide to the vendors?

Thanks in advance,

Conrado
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NancyEl-Zeaiter
New Contributor III
I would like to use S-57 chart data in the ArcGIS to produce a DEM for research purposes. As a test, I have used the geodatabase model to import Electronic Navigational Charts (ENC) .000 files from the NOAA Coastal Services Center.

I am now trying to purchase S-57 ENCs for my study site in Brazil. These are not available for free and the vendors are requesting an 'ENC permit number'. From what I could understand they use this permit number to encrypt the data so that it can be viewed only in the correspondent software from which it was obtained. They can not sell such ENCs without the permit number. Does ArcGIS have an ENC permit number that I can provide to the vendors?

Thanks in advance,

Conrado

�??Esri is working with the IHO and other business partners to provide our users with the ability to read S-57 datasets that are encrypted using the S-63 standard.  Esri suggests that you contact the hydrographic office associated with the encrypted data directly to request an unencrypted version.  Please let Esri know that you are only able to get encrypted S-57 data for your projects by contacting us at nautical@esri.com so we may continue to build our case for IHO to change their policy.�?�
0 Kudos
TomDePuyt
Esri Contributor

In 2014 Esri became an official International Hydrographic Office (IHO) OEM.  Esri now supports S-63 encrypted datasets using the ArcGIS for Maritime Server product.  You can find out more about this product at ArcGIS for Server Extension | ArcGIS for Maritime