ArcPad 10 check in error: The row contains a bad value

09-09-2011 09:24 AM
NeilCurri
New Contributor II
Anyone have this problem when checking in ArcPad data?

First off, when I start off using the Get Data For ArcPad tool, no Picture Field is available to set in the Select Picture Options window of the wizard for the feature class in which I want to store the file name. Now, I've created a text attribute column 20 characters long to hold the file name, which is the minimum length needed in order to make the column available to the tool for holding picture file names, according to the instructions I read in the ArcPad help. But even more confusing is that I ran the tool anyway, got the data on my GPS unit, went out and collected data and took pictures, and ArcPad successfully put the file name for each picture in the attribute column for each collected point. I'm just writing this in case it illuminates what follows.

The actual problem came when I used the Get Data From ArcPad tool. The first time it worked like a charm. I originally had 4 features in my feature class, but after check in the 2 new features I collected with the GPS were added. Every time I've tried it after that, with different saved versions of the same project, the new data I collected did not get added to the feature class in ArcMap. The Check In Results window Report stated: "The selected layers in C:\blah\GIS-Data_gdb.axf were successfully checked in, but one or more edits were skipped because the geodatabase reported an error. The first error reported is: The row contains a bad value. [Photo]"

Now, I know the reason that this error comes up is because there is not sufficient space in the column to hold the length of the data that is being attempted to update it - in this case the [Photo] column. But the column is 20 characters long and the length of the name that ArcPad enters into it is only 14 characters long (Photo_0001.jpg).

I've tried recreating the project several times over, changing the name of the column, etc., but the error persists. I'd love to hear any ideas.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
NeilCurri
New Contributor II
Someone on the Northeast Arc Users Group email list answered for me:

"Have you aliased the layername in your arcmap project? If so remove the layer and read it and try again."

That was it. Never would have guessed it. The Get Data for ArcPad tool must have been trying to read the layer by its name in the ArcMap table of contents as opposed to the feature class name, and didn't know the source. Lesson learned: don't change layer names in the ArcMap TOC from the feature class names of the source data when prep'ing a map and data for use in ArcPad.
0 Kudos