Newline or carriage return in TextSymbol

09-01-2011 06:28 AM
AndrewJones
New Contributor
Is there anyway to make a TextSymbol multi-lined?  Our map is quite small and many of the labels go off the map so I need to reduce the width of the label by putting some values onto two lines.

The product manager does not want to use a popup as it must look like a label.

Any clues?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JeffPace
MVP Alum
Is there anyway to make a TextSymbol multi-lined?  Our map is quite small and many of the labels go off the map so I need to reduce the width of the label by putting some values onto two lines.

The product manager does not want to use a popup as it must look like a label.

Any clues?

I don't have a sample in front of me to test, but have your tried \\n in the text?
0 Kudos
JesseAdams
New Contributor III
Did anyone ever find a solution to this?  I'm trying to do the same thing but \n or \r don't work.  Any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
GISAdmin1
New Contributor III
Bump - I too have the same question.  Is it possible to have multiline text rendered via TextSymbol?

Thanks!

M
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Not at this time, this is a limitation in the API (and underlying dojox.gfx components we use). We're looking at how we can fix this in the future.
0 Kudos
SimonUyttendaele
New Contributor III
Hello,

Using newlines "\n" can be supported using the following solution.

Please vote upon the following idea which is precisely about this.

Regards
JohnChurchill
New Contributor III

What solution? There is nothing here in these links.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just found this on github: Chaussette/esri.symbol.MultiLineTextSymbol · GitHub from a comment by Simon in ArcGIS Ideas.

However when you include the script src use (or host it yourself):

"https://rawgit.com/Chaussette/esri.symbol.MultiLineTextSymbol/master/esri.symbol.MultiLineTextSymbol...