Controlling Text when Rotating Map

08-31-2011 12:56 PM
Labels (1)
MichaelErlich
New Contributor II
Is it possible to have any control on how the text is rendered with map packs when the map is rotated?  Since the image is rendered at the server and the rotation is done on the client, at 180 degrees, the text is upside down.  Is there anyway to control this?

Also, unless anyone has other ideas, the only way I can think of to get around this for tile packs is to render the text as a separate layer.  However, for this to work, there would have to be two text layers.  1) with the correct orientation, and 2) with the text inverted.  Is there a way to have the text drawn inverted in arcmap?
5 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

You're correct - the image is rendered on the server (ArcGIS Server or ArcGIS Runtime) and the rotation is applied on the client.

ArcMap can rotate labels either by a constant value defined within the layer properties in ArcMap or by a value within the data attributes. The rotation value is read from the data dynamically so it could be edited at runtime if required - even via a feature service in the runtime. I wouldn't advise doing that for many fine-grained rotations but it could be a solution for larger, less-frequent rotations.

The standard labelling engine and the Maplex labelling engine have slightly different options in this area so it's worth taking a look at both. Also, there's an option to control whether upside-down labels are flipped to display correctly or not (the default is that they are flipped, which is what you want I believe).

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelErlich
New Contributor II

The standard labelling engine and the Maplex labelling engine have slightly different options in this area so it's worth taking a look at both. Also, there's an option to control whether upside-down labels are flipped to display correctly or not (the default is that they are flipped, which is what you want I believe).

Due to the size of the data, using features is not an option.  Looking at the label properties for the layer in arcmap, I do not see anything you mentioned above.  Where do I specify the labeling engine, how can I control the flipping of the labels?  What default flips them?  When I rotate the map, the labels are upside down and do not auto flip.
0 Kudos
MichaelErlich
New Contributor II
Under the data frame, I can specify the label engine and rotation.  HOwever, once the map pack is generated, the labels rotate with the map and will be upside down if rotated 180 degrees in the control.  Is there some other rendering property so this doesn't occur with map packs?
0 Kudos
MichaelErlich
New Contributor II
Any more information about this?  Setting the map-plex properties didn't appear to have any effect.  A few weeks ago, we had an ESRI trainer on site for training and she was unable to get the text to rotate properly by any of the above options.  Last we heard this issue was going to be looked at to see if there was any other way, but have not received any response yet.  Are there any other options to try or any plans on adding this capability in future beta/ga releases?

Thx,
Mike
0 Kudos
GonzaloMuöoz
Occasional Contributor

Did you manage to solve this issue? I'm stucked with this same problem.

0 Kudos