08-29-2011 12:33 AM
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III
iOS SDK version 2.0.
OS X Lion version 10.7.1.
Xcode 4.2 (in use).
Xcode 3.2 (also installed).
iOS SDK 5.0 (deployment target is 4.3).
Compiler is LLVM gcc 4.2 (no automatic reference counting).

After placing a breakpoint in an implementation file and running the program in the simulator, I receive a message about a missing file related to the AGS object that was referenced near that breakpoint. The program cannot continue at this point - the same error message displays if I press the "step into" button.

Running the program on the simulator or device produces the same error messages.

If I place a breakpoint near AGSGraphic and run the program, this message is displayed:
Can't show file for current stack frame

The file /build/iosbuildbot/build/iOS/ArcGIS/Classes/Core/Models/AGSGraphic.m does not exist on the file system.

If I place a breakpoint near AGSTiledMapServiceLayer, this message is displayed:
Can't show file for current stack frame

The file /build/iosbuildbot/build/iOS/ArcGIS/Classes/Core/Models/Layers/ArcGISServer/AGSTiledMapServiceLayer.m does not exist on the file system.

I found that the error messages only appear if breakpoints are present and I am stepping through the code. Using "continue" with breakpoints does not produce an error message. Without any breakpoints, the map loads just fine.

I believe I have checked all the obvious settings. I reinstalled the SDK. Still the same error messages appear. Then, as a test, I started a new project (still using Xcode 4.2) from an ArcGIS iOS template.  The implementation and xib files were created as empty files (xib can't even be edited). Obviously something is not right. It seems that something may be incorrect about the installation...?

Interestingly enough, if I create a new ArcGIS project with Xcode 3.2, the implementation files and xib file contain the expected content - the project can be built and run without problems.

Thank you for any help,
Paul Lohr
0 Kudos
12 Replies
PaulLohr
Another test result that might be helpful: I opened the GraphicsDemo v2.0 sample project for a test. After a breakpoint is set and the project is run, the same error message appears - "Can't show file for current stack frame". Thanks again for any help.
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
The XCode 4.2 and iOS SDK 5.0 (currently in beta) are not supported with ArcGIS for iOS SDK yet. We are working on the same and will support it once their final versions are released.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
I was thinking that because the Deployment Target is set to a supported version of iOS (4.3), perhaps it did not matter that iOS 5.0 was installed. Apparently this is not the case. I did not realize Xcode 4.2 was unsupported. I will try to make this work on iOS 4.2 / Xcode 3.2.

Thank you for letting me know, Nimesh.
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
I should have tested Xcode 3.2 under the same scenario before making my initial post. Sorry about that. Xcode 3.2 is producing nearly the same missing file error messages. I downloaded the CustomTiledLayer sample then opened it in Xcode 3.2 thinking that perhaps opening these other projects in Xcode 4 somehow corrupted or modified the project. This does not seem to be the case. Placing breakpoints and using step into in Xcode 3.2 produces these missing file error messages. Additionally, Xcode 3.2 gives a long string of error messages similar to this: "unable to read unknown load command 0x26". I am using the iOS 4.2 SDK in this case.
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Here is another detail that may be helpful.

It is right after the @synthesize mapView = _mapView statement runs that Xcode complains about a missing file. Which file Xcode is looking for varies based on where the breakpoint is placed.

I am not sure why Xcode is looking for an implementation (m) file from the ArcGIS SDK - I think it should only need the header (h) file.

Thanks again for any help,
Paul Lohr
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
By looking at the error message, it seems that you are trying to debug the ArcGIS for iOS SDK code. The .m files of the SDK classes are not available for you to debug.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Thank you for helping, Nimesh.

I suspect the problem is in my code. Now that I think about it, I have seen this before - where I have something wrong with my code but Xcode reports a missing implementation file of an underlying SDK instead of reporting the actual error. I found this information on stackoverflow but can't seem to find it again.
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Still working on this problem. I had an experienced programmer look at this and he was not sure what to do.

Is there a way to tell Xcode not to try to step through these AGS implementation files? It seems like a strange request that might not make sense but I don't know what else to ask.

Not being able to step through code makes the ArcGIS iOS sdk very difficult to work with.
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
Could you please share the screen shots where you are keeping the breakpoints?

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos