Likes and Nots

08-25-2011 02:06 PM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
So, I haven't really hit this ext in awhile (so bear with me in my ignorance), but I like the fact that I can maximize the wizard and drag it to another screen.  This is very, very nice.  It also stays on top of everything, so if i launch an Add field while the wizard is open, my Add Field dialog can get hidden behind the wizard which means more button clicks to move the wizard out of the way, this I am not so keen on, especially if I have a setting where my window goes active where my cursor is located.

If I run the histogram tool, it defaults to the first record in the attribute and processes, so if I have a large layer, I can either let it run, or click esc.  it seems like it should not run until I tell it to run.  Is this the expected behavior for Histogram?

i do like that the wizard is modeless, where I can run the wizard and run other tools while previewing all my data, this is another great feature.  More data at the same time, I like this.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Ted

We introduced the new Wizard in 10. The reason it stays on top is to ensure that it does not get "lost". I.e. it gets moved off the page or something else gets on top of it. Also, because it is an interactive tool, it should be the focus of attention. I.e. Add Field tool can be run before or after the Wizard is used. We do take note of your concerns and we'll see if we could change it in some or other way.

To change the order of which field comes first. Setting the field to be used is not a Geostats function but an ArcGIS function and it has been around for a while.

- Right click on the Feature layer in the TOC
- click on Layer and then on the Display tab
- under the Display Expression section select the Field (note for Geostats it must be numeric)
- hit OK

That field will be the default field in the ESDA tools and also in the Wizard.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Ted

We introduced the new Wizard in 10. The reason it stays on top is to ensure that it does not get "lost". I.e. it gets moved off the page or something else gets on top of it. Also, because it is an interactive tool, it should be the focus of attention. I.e. Add Field tool can be run before or after the Wizard is used. We do take note of your concerns and we'll see if we could change it in some or other way.

To change the order of which field comes first. Setting the field to be used is not a Geostats function but an ArcGIS function and it has been around for a while.

- Right click on the Feature layer in the TOC
- click on Layer and then on the Display tab
- under the Display Expression section select the Field (note for Geostats it must be numeric)
- hit OK

That field will be the default field in the ESDA tools and also in the Wizard.

it really only is a problem if you have cursor focus, otherwise its nice to have it on top, besides, you are right, it is my focus at that exact moment or for as long as I am tweaking my attributes.

Actually didn't display expressions come in at 10, so it uses a display expression.  That is good to know, thats all I need to know, thanks Steve.
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Actually didn't display expressions come in at 10, so it uses a display expression. 

Prior to 10 it was on the Fields tab and was called Primary Display Field
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Prior to 10 it was on the Fields tab and was called Primary Display Field

Oh, ok, its been so long since I have seen something other than 10.
0 Kudos