How to obtain the buildings' information from the ArcGIS Online map?

08-23-2011 07:46 PM
KyrionChan
New Contributor
Hello All!
I'm now writing a Xcode program to be run on an iPad, what I need to do is to display the buildings' information such as name, address, lattitude and longitude. All the buildings need to be within Hong Kong and these information need to be displayed in a text label when the user taps on the building.
Since the ArcGIS online map provides a map with quite comprehensive information on each building, I wonder if it is possible to retrieve the information from the map itself directly?
Also, I already have a map built by someone else in a private server without the services supporting the usage of k tiled or k dynamic functions. Would there be any ways to build them? If so, I need not use the ArcGIS online map.
Any constructive coments and suggestions are highly appreciated, thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
I hope you have downloaded ArcGIS app available in the Apple app store. You can open your ArcGIS Online maps in it. If the map is configured with popups then tap on feature will display configured information.

If you want to build your own application then you should look into Feature Layer Editing Sample

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
KyrionChan
New Contributor
Hi Nimesh,

Thank you for your quick reply and I had already downloaded the ArcGIS app days ago. That is nearly the same as what I want, but not exactly. It can show the address, longitude and lattitude quite well but not for the buildings' names. Also, I had also studied some of the samples developed by iOSDevelopmentTeam before writing this thread. Yes, they are quite helpful.

Instead of the Feature Layer Editing Sample, I think the Geocoding Sample is more likely to be what I want to do. Yet, this sample only allows me to search for a certain place and does not allow the user to tap on a building to show the required information. May be this is caused by the map source, so I have changed the map service URL to World_Street_Map. This does not work however and I cannot figure out what has gone wrong.

Regards,
Kyrion
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
Kyrion,

Okie..let me get a complete sense what you are trying to achieve.

1. You mentioned, the ArcGIS app shows address, longitude and latitude but not building names. Is building name part of attributes in a layer? If yes, you'll be able to see in the popup. I hope on arcgis online you have configured popups.

2. If building name is attribute and you want to show it along with address, longitude and latitude like ArcGIS app then you should create a custom callout in  your application.

3. You mentioned, the Geocoding sample is more like what you want to do but it does not allow to tap on the building. Is your building layer is MapService layer or FeatureLayer? The tap on feature is allowed only if it is a graphic in GraphicsLayer or FeatureLayer.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos