delies

I need to visualize 100k records

Discussion created by delies on Aug 15, 2011
Latest reply on Aug 24, 2011 by delies
Hi all!

I have over a million species occurrence points, and users are supposed to be able to select points by species.  Problem is our most common species show well over 100k points.  In the past I've created an arbitrary grid where each cell has the total number of points within that cell.  Then I just show the grid cells that contain at least 1 point.  Queries weren't allowed until the user zoomed to a specific level, where the individual points were limited to a few thousand.  This time I can't limit queries to certain zoom level, nor can I afford to use thousands of separate grids with the point counts for each individual species.  I would love to use some form of heat map (my grids were a rudimentary sort of heat map), or something else to summarize the points when zoomed way out.

I was thinking of using the grid to query all the matching features in each cell, but I didn't know if I could send 150 or so queries at the same time.

Has anyone done something like this before?  I could use any guidance you can provide.  I'm using ArcGIS Server 9.3.

Thanks for your help!

Outcomes