tmackey-esriaustralia-com-au-esridist

Row Standardisation Questions

Discussion created by tmackey-esriaustralia-com-au-esridist on Aug 10, 2011
Latest reply on Jan 8, 2012 by tmackey-esriaustralia-com-au-esridist
Hello,
I've got a few questions about using Row Standardisation in the tools which request it in the Spatial Stats toolbox. I think I understand what it does (turns the absolute weight of the feature into a relative measure of how heavy a feature is compared to its neighbours) but I just want to make sure I'm clear of some things.

The help states "Row standardization is recommended whenever the distribution of your features is potentially biased due to sampling design or an imposed aggregation scheme." Why exactly is this the case? And does that mean it would apply every time you have aggregated your incident data, as recommended?

Further, it's mentioned that "Anytime you are working with polygon features representing administrative boundaries, you will likely want to choose the Row Standardization option." Is it possible to explain in more detail why this is the case?

Also, is there a reason not to use Row Standardisation all the time? What kind of distortion would you introduce if you used Row Standardisation on a pre-weighted points dataset, for example?

Overall, I get the impression that if using "fixed distance band" (which usually seems to be a good idea when dealing with point data and you have a reasonable idea of what scale you want your analysis to be good for) or "polygon continuity", it's a good idea to choose row standardisation - but
I'm not quite sure why this is the case :)

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers
-Thom

Outcomes