tony5729

Converty DecDegree XY data to State Plane

Discussion created by tony5729 on Aug 8, 2011
Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 by MKennedy-esristaff
Hello,

I have GPS waypoints that are in decimal degree and I am hoping to project these points on some air photos that are in State Plane.  So here is what I have done

1.  I created a shapefile from the tabular data.  While creating the file I said the data was in WGS 84. When I look at this, everything looks right

2.  I Used the project tool and changed the projection to stateplane (South Central Texas NAD 84).  I used WGS to Nad 84 Transform 5. 

3.  I put the resulting shapefile into my map.  The points are way off base.  I looked at the point info and it still has the decimal degree data.  In fact it lines up perfectly with the original non reprojected data. 

4.  I tried to export the data and give it the projection of the data frame.  The exported layer lined up with all of the other shapefiles (ie wrong).

I have done alot of searches on this and seen this question apparently answered by going through the steps that I outlined.  However I have not had any luck. 
I guess that I need to convert my xy data.  It seems like Arc should be able to do this.  What am I missing.  This seems like a simple and often used operation one that Arc should handle in a straightforward manner.  Am I misssing something because I am going from GCS to PCS? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 
heywood

Outcomes