ESRIRegAsm Failure

08-08-2011 06:43 AM
MichaelDennis1
New Contributor
We have a client that is having problems registering our ArcGIS 10 extension.

When running ESRIRegASM.EXE manually from the command line they get the following error :

FATAL ERROR : Could not create ArcGIS Version Manager Component

Operation Failed

0030EE60

Any ideas what the remedy to this problem is?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Can they run ArcMap?  It could be a licensing issue or perhaps the installation is corrupt.  If they can run ArcMap then this is probably something else.

Are they running as an administrator?  Create a DOS command windows by right clicking on the program and select "Run As Administrator".
0 Kudos
MichaelDennis1
New Contributor
I believe ArcMap runs and they are running the command window as administrator.

Does ESRIRegAsm.exe need to write to the registry?  I've got them investigating whether the account has write access to registry.

Any idea what this "ArcGIS Version Manager Component" is and what it has to do with the extension registration process?
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Yes, I believe that it does write to the registry.

In 9.4, ESRI started an effort to support multiple installations with different versions on the same machine.  That effort was later abandoned but they left pieces of it in the system.  One of the pieces relates to how components bind to a specific version.  They play a game in the registry to make this work.  My guess is that this machine relates to the Version Manager you mention.
0 Kudos
AnthonyW
New Contributor II
Hi Michael,

I was wondering if you ever discovered what was the problem?  I have a client that is experiencing the same issue.  I suspect that it is some sort of user account privileges issue.  Did you ever solve it?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony
0 Kudos