ArcToolbox tools will not open, prompts to open/save files - Windows 7 (fix)

07-29-2011 04:21 PM
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I felt this was worth reposting this in its own thread here as we have seen this too.

Up until yesterday everything was fine. I have no idea what setting changed, but I am getting the same window when I try to use any tool - "Navigation to the webpage was canceled" and then a "File Download" window pops up prompting me to open or save a file titled "MdDlgContent.htm" and MdDlgHelp.htm". I click cancel, but the tools just close and repeat the same thing when I try to open again.

I am using ArcGIS 9.3.1 and can open all of my files just fine, add layers, but just can't use the Toolbox

This fix is documented in KB article 38564:
Problem: Opening a geoprocessing tool from ArcToolbox prompts to open or save file
0 Kudos
1 Reply
SarahReed
New Contributor
I am encountering the same problem in ArcGIS 10 on Windows XP. If I double-click on a tool in ArcToolbox, I get the error message: "Navigation to the webpage was cancelled." Two pdf files automatically open (MdDlgHelp.pdf, MdDlgContent.pdf), the first of which contains the help information for the tool. When I close them, I am prompted to "save changes."

I just installed Service Pack 3 and it has not resolved the issue. I do not encounter this problem on my other workstation, which is running ArcGIS 10 SP2 on Vista.

Thanks,
Sarah
0 Kudos