Symbology being converted to Custom Renderer and disappearing

07-29-2011 12:37 PM
AngelaHansen
New Contributor
Hi,

I am having an issue with symbology. I took a great deal of time symbolizing a polygon feature class based on RGB values that were within a column. I then saved this as a layer file. I did this for 3 seperate polygon feature classes (could not apply symbology from layer as RGB values differed slightly).

I went back to the layer files today, and 2 out of 3 of them are no longer showing up. It is not an issue with broken links or missing data sources. When I click the symbology tab, it says it is a "Custom Renderer" as opposed to symbology based on categories -> Unique Values. In fact, the categories option is missing. Nothing is being displayed.

If I were to bring the feature class back into ArcMap and apply symbology from the layer file, it works. But if I try to save this as a new layer file, it again is converted to custom renderer and fails to show up in ArcMap again.

I am not sure if this is a clear explanation of the issue. Any thoughts or similar experiences would be useful. Thank you!

Angela
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies