Null Values in Excel Spreadsheet Import

07-25-2011 11:18 AM
PaulEvans
New Contributor II
Hi there,

I want to create a dataset of vector data based on ADCP tidal flow data in ArcScene 10. I have managed to add the data, which is in an Excel spreadsheet into ArcScene, however, the data contained zero values for where there was no data (i.e. below the seabed). When I plotted the vectors based on magnitude and direction, the columns that contained no data (i.e. had zeros in the cells) was still plotted.

To try and rectify this I changed all these cells to blank and re-imported the data. This seemed to work when I opened the table in ArcScene (i.e. the blank cells had a "<null>" value, however, when I exported the data to a shapefile, it did not retain the "<null>" value and instead the columns were either blank or had a zero in.

Does anyone know an easy way to either open up an Excel spreadsheet in ArcScene and change all zero values to Null or retain the Null values when I export to a Shapefile?

Thank you.

Paul
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
Shapefiles do not support null values.  See Geoprocessing considerations for shapefile outputs.  You need to export to a geodatabase table.
PaulEvans
New Contributor II
Hi Dale,

Thank you for your prompt response. I am quite new to ArcGIS so was wondering whether you could advise what the best way is to export the table created in ArcGIS into a geodatabase?

Kind regards,

Paul
0 Kudos
DaleHoneycutt
Use the Table To Geodatabase tool

Other tools that'll do the same job: Table To Table, Copy Rows
TedKowal

Bear in mind that Excel takes a "Majority Rule" on interpreting data types based solely on the first 8 rows of data.  This can cause numerous import type of errors and some to this day Have no work around!

Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services: Mixed data types in Excel column 

When working with excel data (killed me to say that) I import the tables into MS Access, clean up the data then bring it into Arcgis from MS Access.  However, if you are working with "Pro" your out of luck using this technique (esri chose not to support ms access without purchasing expensive licensing) and you would have to import the data into larger format database to do the same thing (providing you have the security and the ability to create tables from your dbadministrator).

0 Kudos