Map Co-ordinate System - avoiding Web Mercator

07-18-2011 11:35 PM
JanetRogers
Occasional Contributor II
If I am using ArcGIS Online basemaps in my Flex Viewer, is there any way I can avoid the co-ordinate system being in Web Mercator? 

I have tried adding a WKID to the map configuration file and added another basemap in the correct co-ordinate system as the first basemap, but nothing seems to change the display of Web Mercator in the scale bar or in the Co-ordinate Menu.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Janet,

The simple answer is no... As the ArcGIS online Basemaps are cached which means you are just getting back pre-made images of the map, they will not be re-projected to meet your needs. If you have ever re-projected a image in ArcMap than you will realize the re-projecting many images that consist of the cache view is now feasible.
0 Kudos
JanetRogers
Thanks for your answer Robert, I won't try any further...

And thank you so much for your Flex Widgets - I have been busy putting them into my web map and they are fantastic.  You name comes up every time I find something useful!
0 Kudos
NathanEnge
Esri Contributor
If you are going to be using Web Mercator basemaps, but you want to show the coords in the lat long, you can do this in the coordinate widget .xml

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<configuration>
    <!-- geo, dms, mercator -->
    <outputunit>geo</outputunit>
</configuration>
0 Kudos
KathrynPollard
New Contributor

I would like to display coords in OSGB36 - do you have a widget for that possibly, please?

0 Kudos
JanetRogers
That worked! A belated thanks to you all.
0 Kudos