Data Driven Pages fail to update legend

07-18-2011 12:17 AM
KoenVolleberg
New Contributor
I use Data Driven Pages (ArcGis 10) to create some 1000 maps. In these maps, I've got an elevation raster dataset of which the streched symbology is recalculated for each display extent.

When scrolling through the pages in the DDP-toolbar, I see the symbology scaling as expected. So far, so good. When I add a legend showing the raster symbology, things start to get buggy.

Although the data is updated in every page, the legend is not. Also, in the TOC, I don't see the new min-max values. I tried to solve this with ArcPy (adding, removing, updating the layer etc), but without success. Of course, I want to have a legend that corresponds with the view, and not with the first page out of 1000.

I posted this bug to Esri Netherlands. They were able to reprooduce the bug, and forwarded it to Esri Inc. This was 4 weeks ago, and Esri NL and myself are still waiting for a solution or workaround from Esri Inc. No response from the USA yet.

Anyone the same problem and a solution?
Esri Inc: when you read this: it would be nice to respond and (at least try to) solve things when your customers find out problems. Looking at this forum, I conclude that the people that pay huge amounts of money for your licenses are pretty negative about your software. It surely would pay off to improve customer service.

Koen
0 Kudos
5 Replies
FrédéricPRALLY
Esri Contributor
Hi Koen,

If your problem is to update your legend maybe try to create an object Legend like this :
legend = arcpy.mapping.ListLayoutElements(mxd, "LEGEND_ELEMENT", "Legend") [0]

And now you can force to refresh your legend using :
 legend.adjustColumnCount(1)

Hope this help you,

Best regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
KoenVolleberg
New Contributor
Hi Fred,
just tried it, but without success. It's a very strange bug. Thanks for the suggestion.
Cheers, Koen
0 Kudos
SamKeehan
New Contributor
Hi Koen,

I've tried to recreate the issue you mentioned using a raster dataset I had symbolized using stretched renderer set to calculate statistics using the current display extent.   Please let me know if this is does not relate to your case.  If it doesn't and you could please provide more details that would be great.

I was able to see the problem.  I would change extents and while the min and max values would be recalculated, the legend would not update.  This is a bug that we will look at.  However, in the meantime I was able to force the legend to update by using 'arcpy.RefreshActiveView()'.  I hope that helps.

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.

Regards,
Sam
0 Kudos
TheoFaull
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,
I have also come across this problem, but mine is a bit worse.

I have a raster dataset displaying a gravity grid. I have 20 pages and want DDP to stretch the min-max colour ramp for each extent. However, it is using the min-max of the first page's view extent and not updating it for each subsequent page.

The max colour is black and the min is white. BOTH these colours should be seen on each page as the view should stretch the scale for each extent. however from page 2 onwards, pure black and white do not appear. instead the greyness of the in between values.

any ideas on how to refresh the view extent for each DDP page???
thanks
0 Kudos
MichelleWilliams1
Occasional Contributor III

I have a similar problem, I'm on ArcMap 10.4. I have two types of points and two types of lines on my data-driven pages (DDP). The legend only shows the uppermost line on the TOC and the uppermost point on the TOC. I only have 6 DDP, but I will eventually have 166.

I tried the 'arcpy.RefreshActiveView()' with no change. 

I could really use a GIS Jedi. 

0 Kudos