natalie_susmann

Network Analyst with Ancient Road Data

Discussion created by natalie_susmann on Jul 14, 2011
Latest reply on Jul 15, 2011 by jborgion
Hello

I need some help with Network Analyst. I am working on an archaeological dig and we would like to use the tool to see a network between ancient roman roads, water sources, and possibly incorporate the data to understand the distribution of known settlements in the area. I have used the extension before but with modern data, so it's a lot different to set up. It's also been about 3 years since I have used it. Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial which specifies how to perform the analyst which takes into account using your own data? I have seen the tutorial from ESRI as well as others, but those assume that either you are using set up data or purchased sdc files. I need to know, for example, how to set up my roads file and edit it for the shapefile network dataset so that I can say that travel was permitted in either direction.

Also, should I attempt to incorporate the locations of water sources into the analyst dataset because they are what would often dictate road patterns?

Thanks!

Outcomes