huffmanp

Shapefile to old Garmin GPS

Discussion created by huffmanp on Jul 6, 2011
Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 by mcollins999
A field crew just brought me a Garmin Etrex that they just bought. Why they picked such an old model, I don't know.  I suppose it was because it was cheap and water proof.  Anyway, they are hoping that I can install a bunch of waypoints from a ESRI point feature class I made into their GPS so they can use the GPS to guide them to their sampling points.  In the past, I've always been able to get points out of a GPS, either with DNR Garmin or just by downloading CSV files from a GPS.  But today I have these two main problems. 1. I'm now running ArcDesktop 10 and DNR Garmin doesn't yet run on Arc10. Or does it now? Which brings me to my next dead end: 2. I can't find a download source for DNR Garmin because of the Minnesota government shutdown. Is there another download source?

I was lucky to have a cable for this old Etrex. It connects to a PC via a 9 pin serial port. I was lucky to still have a couple PCs with 9 pin com ports. 

Some in these forums say they now use GPSGate. I downloaded a copy, got it running, but haven't come close to figuring out how to use it for this simple task of going from shapefile to waypoints.  Most seem to use GPSGate to connect live GPS to web apps.  But at least I was able to verify a connection from the GPS to the 9 pin serial port.

Outcomes