Newbie- Python and Fusion

07-05-2011 08:48 AM
Jessicahightower
New Contributor
Hello out there! I am brand new to python, but I have been told that I can use python in conjunction with fusion to clip out the points I need from my .las lidar files. I am trying to figure out how to write a Python script that creates a polygon for each of my plots and then invokes the PolyClipData command from Fusion on that polygon to clip out the .LAS files.
What I have now is my shapefile with the plots I am using (300) and a large dataset of lidar files (~800 tiles, 6 billion points).
If anyone can offer any advice on where to go for additional information, then I would be very appreciative. At this point, I am not too sure where to start. Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisBater
New Contributor II
Hi Jessica,

I've done quite a bit of work with python and fusion. Generally, the key is to use python to generate fusion batch files, which in turn you call using the python 'subprocess' module. I've attached an example script that clips las data based on forest plot centre coordinates contained in multiple .csv files. See page 33 of the fusion manual for the syntax to use for the clip tool.

I hope this isn't overly confusing and at least provides you with a way forward.... It shouldn't be too difficult to modify it to use shapefiles.

Chris
0 Kudos
Jessicahightower
New Contributor
Thanks so much, Chris! This was a big help.
0 Kudos
ChrisBater
New Contributor II
My pleasure. Let me know if you hit a stumbling block.
0 Kudos