FeatureLayer does not honor Marker Line Symbol.

06-21-2011 01:19 PM
HemingZhu
Occasional Contributor III
I have a polyline layer symboled with Marker Line Symbol (using Character Marker (Unicode: 233 - looks like "M" as unit). If you displaye as a layer in map service, it works just as it is in .mxd; if I diplay as a featurelayer, the map only honor the color and character size, which results in a big fat line. Do anyone has ideas how to fix or workaround?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III
The reference for SimpleMarkerSymbol only lists circles, squares, etc so it may be a limitation of symbolising a feature layer?

As a workaround, can you make an image of the "M" and use a PictureMarkerSymbol?

Note that I haven't tried this so it's just a guess (based on the idea that symbolising a feature layer is probably using the same mechanisms as symbolising a graphics layer).
0 Kudos
HemingZhu
Occasional Contributor III
The reference for SimpleMarkerSymbol only lists circles, squares, etc so it may be a limitation of symbolising a feature layer?

As a workaround, can you make an image of the "M" and use a PictureMarkerSymbol?

Note that I haven't tried this so it's just a guess (based on the idea that symbolising a feature layer is probably using the same mechanisms as symbolising a graphics layer).

I appreciated your suggestion. SimpleMarkerSymbol and PictureMarkerSymbol are used to draw points and multipoints not polyline. I konw there is no MarkerLineSysmbol class in JS API (as it has in ArcGIS desktop). I was hoping i can get a clear answer of whether it is feasible in JS API to apply MarkLineSymbol on featureLayer.
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Unfortunately, if you want to display your polyline data as client side graphics, your options are  SimpleLineSymbol or CartographicLineSymbol. You can use either by creating a symbol and a renderer and specifying your renderer as the renderer for your feature layer.

If you really want use your complex symbology in a web app, you can use a dynamic map service layer.
0 Kudos