Pimplebutt

How to do drawings on individual mxd's and gather the drawings together.

Discussion created by Pimplebutt on Jun 13, 2011
Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 by Pimplebutt
My Environment:

• Visual Studio 2008

• VB.NET

• ArcObjects 9.3.1

• The datasources are FileGeodatabase and Shapefiles loaded into an MXD.

I have no idea where to start on this issue, and if there are built in tools to do most of the work, I want to use those rather than attempt to reinvent the wheel.

I have a map (mxd whose datasource is a file geodatabase) of parcels in a particular county, and property appraisers would like the ability to draw and make notes directly on the map.

They are out "in the field" looking at properties and using a tablet pc, while I am in the office developing on a desktop pc.

From hours of reading, I have come across several items that I don't know if or how they are related to each other, and which is the direction to pursue, or which are even available to me through ArcObjects.

There is a "Tablet Toolbar" which i've noted key words like "ink" and "sketch" so that sounds useful.

There is the "Editor Toolbar" which has a palette of tools for creating "sketches"

Finally, there are ArcObjects classes and interfaces like "CompositeGraphicsLayer"

Do the "Tablet Toolbar" and "Editor Toolbar" each draw on the Composite graphics layer?
Nothing that I've read mentions what layer these toolbars draw on.

Are either/both of these toolbars available to me to add to the map in my application?

And lastly, there is the issue that if all these different appraisers are drawing on their individual tablet pc's, we'd like some way to gather all these drawings together on a single master drawing so that everyone can see everyone elses drawings at some point.

Outcomes