Can't Edit Values in Attribute Table

06-08-2011 09:25 AM
DanielLunsford1
New Contributor II
I am currently working on mapping the city's billboard locations. Since TxDOT now has regulatory power over all billboards along state right-of-ways, TxDOT sent us their standard point shapefile and attribute tables.

I added their point layer to our drawings and then tried to join their billboard point shapefile to our billboard point shapefile using the Lat (Latitude) values (keeping all records). I did this so we would have both their columns and the city's. It seems to have worked, BUT...

I cannot edit the values in the joined table anymore. For example, since the TxDOT layer has billboards for the entire state, they have a 'County' column. But all ours are in the same county, so they need to be changed to "Victoria" county. After I choose Editor => Start Editing, double-clicking on the cell in the attribute table won't allow me to change those values, nor will selecting a point and using the Attribute editor tool, nor will a Find and Replace.

Why can't I edit those values? Or perhaps the question I should be asking is, what is the best way to make sure we have the TxDOT columns in our attribute table as well?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
SusanMarcher
New Contributor
Try to create a new field (out of edit session) & copy their data into your attribute table (in edit session. They may have restrictions on that too though...
0 Kudos
JontyKnox
New Contributor II
You could try simply exporting the .shp file i.e. re-saving it. It could be write protected or it could just be a simple bug. Either way, simply right clicking on the layer, going to Data>Export Data has worked on a bunch of my annoying problems in the past.
0 Kudos
JimDickerson
New Contributor II
Daniel,
I have the same problem.  Did you ever find a solution?
Jim
0 Kudos
StephenKruzik
New Contributor III
Aside from what Susan has posted above, if it's a mass-edit with 1 value, you can always try and edit outside of an editing session.

Just select the rows that need to be changed, and go into "selected view" on the data table.  From there, you could right click the column that has the data you're changing and choose calculate field.  It will tell you not to do it because it's not undoable, but it does get around the restrictions of editing.  Again though, it only works if you're replacing 1 value with 1 value.  For example, changing all instances of the word "dog" to "cat".  Obviously if you have fish, hippos, and massive man-eating GIS monsters, then it gets a bit more complicated.
0 Kudos
ChrisSlinko1
New Contributor II

I'm having the same problem.  I've added another column, exported the feature class and shapefile.  I've switch from a network drive to my computer.  Although the main server has real time replication to other servers at different locations.  Does anyone else have these issues.

Thanks, Chris

0 Kudos