Editing Internal Layers

06-03-2011 05:04 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
When I point the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer at a MapService on our internal network, I get the following message:
Layer 'MyService - MyLayer'
seems to be on an internal network and is not accessible to ArcGIS.com. Thus, editing will be disabled on this layer.

Is there a technical reason why editing is disabled? Is there any way to enable editing of internal layers?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
ArcGIS.com can't edit features on an internal server currently. It's a browser limitation.

Thanks,

Mike
JasonTrook
New Contributor II
So is there a way for an end user to edit my data if my feature services are not editable/disabled?
If so what is the process?

Thanks,

Jason
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Jason,

If your feature services are publicly accessible, anyone can edit them. If they are behind your firewall, then they can't be edited.

Thanks,

Mike
AndyMacDonald
New Contributor III
Jason,

You can edit your services if they are behind your firewall with Explorer Online (http://explorer.arcgis.com), provided your server has a client access policy file in place.

See: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisexplorer/help/#/Troubleshooting/01560000004p000000/

Andy
0 Kudos
DanCook
New Contributor
I am trying to add a secure service layer to a map in ArcGIS.com.

Using the normal address - http://<ip-address>/arcgis/rest/services/secure/<name> - I get a constant login prompt, although my services are secured with SQL security none of the logins which work in browser work in arcgis.com, is this supported? If not, it doesn't take a genius to think that arcgis.com should display an error rather than incorrectly prompt you all the time!

Using token authentication allows me to add the layers to the map however they are uneditable due to this error "layers x,y,z seem to be on an internal network and are not accessible to ArcGIS.com. Thus, editing will be disabled on these layers."

They are not on an internal network, they are fully accessible from the internet via the IP address provided by an Amazon EC2 Elastic IP.

Does anyone have any input or ideas?
0 Kudos
NilsBabel
Occasional Contributor II
I'm having this same issue.  I have a feature layer with editing capability hosted internally.  It has been shared with my organization and saved in a web map.  When I open the web map I get the popup that says I can't edit an internal layer.  However, this does not seem to be true.  If I go to the REST Services Layer URL and click View In: ArcGIS.com Map I can edit it there.  So why when I save a web map can I not edit it?  Also, I can edit this layer from an editing application that I made from the web map.  But I can't edit it from my ArcGIS for Android app.  In fact I can't even see the features when I view the map in ArcGIS for Android.  Anyone know what is going on?
0 Kudos
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III
I am having the same problem but only with Internet Explorer, when I use Firefox it works fine!
AthinaPascoe-Bell
New Contributor II

I thought all was lost, until I saw your response, and remembered I agreed to UAT IE for our organisation. I switched browsers to FireFox and Voila! that strange error about internal networks not being accessible and editing disabled disappeared!

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
What version of ArcGIS Server? Later versions automatically enable CORS, but I think 10.0 doesn't
What version of Internet Explorer? It must support CORS

Editing of public feature services is supported with ArcGIS Server 10.
Editing of secured public feature services is supported withArcGIS Server 10 SP1.
Editing of feature services behind a firewall is supported with ArcGIS Server 10.1 SP1, with CORS enabled browsers.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/84791-Can-t-add-internal-test-services-to-agol-subscription-(SSL-on...

Search this forum for "CORS" for related information.

Hope this helps.

Mike