Generating points from a set of Polylines

06-02-2011 07:41 AM
ConorKirkman
New Contributor
I have a set of polylines (m) that represent various roadways in an area that I want to generate XY points from. I'm referencing a database that contains two columns:

One that corresponds to the name of a particular line in the polyline shape file and a
Second that is a distance from line begin-point that I want a XY point to be created at.

Working in ArcMap, I've imported the layer file with the polylines (that have lat/long data associated with them) and the reference database I just mentioned. I created a new feature by merging the former two at the line name and creating a point at every distance specified by the second database table field. This is the data I wanted, but I haven't been able to figure out how to export this data to a database. It doesn't seem to contain XY points specifically, so I can't export a DB like I have been able to with a feature containing points.

What tool or process ought I use to export XY data of the lat/long of each point to a database?
(There will be several million points, if it is of any significance.)

Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
HardolphWasteneys
Occasional Contributor III
This is a Linear Referencing problem for which, from what you've stated, you have the essential components, namely a polyline feature class with M values and a table of points or events at specific M values along the lines and with an identifier for the specific polyline (aka a Route Identifier Field).

Probably best to read up on Linear Referencing. http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/toc.cfm?Action=1&LID=6782&rand=324#6782

The process you are looking at is just a couple of steps and, if formatting is not an issue, should take about 10 minutes:

1. Run the Create Routes tool to make your polylines into routes that will use the M values to locate points at a distance along their length.

2. Run the Make Route Event Layer tool to link your "event table" with the routes and output a layer showing the map position of the points (or segments). 
You can export that layer to a point (or line) feature class that inherently has the coordinates of your points.

feel free to ask again (or check some of my previous posts on the topic) if you have any specific trouble with this. 

good luck,

Hardolph
0 Kudos
ConorKirkman
New Contributor
Thanks for the help!

I had actually done all of what you said, just not in the proper order, or mixed with other unnecessary tools.

After doing what you suggested in that order, I used the Data Management tool "Add XY Coordinates" to add the direct reference to the coordinates. (Before doing so, the event layer only had columns that linked to the reference route and one that specified the 'milepost' which was my field name for the distance from the route start-point.)

I then used "Make Table View" to export only the X & Y fields to a new table, then exported that table to my database.

I know you didn't need an explanation, but if someone is searching for the solution to the same problem I had, maybe this will help. Being new to this software, the biggest challenge is finding which of the many tools or features I need to use moreso than using tools once I know which are apropos.

Thanks again, Hardolph!

Conor
0 Kudos