tuomoa

Problems with indoors 3D network - help?

Discussion created by tuomoa on May 31, 2011
Latest reply on Jun 8, 2011 by rgarrity-esristaff
Hi all,

I'm having a bunch of problems with performing a 3D network analysis in an indoors environment using ArcGIS 10. Couldn't find any help in the help menu except for this and no relevant topics in the forum.

The idea is to find out how to perform 3D network analyses indoors in order to find the shortest route between two points in different floors. I have two floors connected by stairs and have done appropriate walking paths that should serve as a basis for my network. I've done a personal geodatabase with a feature dataset and imported my shapefiles as feature classes, and am now trying to figure out how to create a functional network dataset from the feature dataset.

I'm unsure how to proceed here, as ArcScene doesn't allow me to upload my network dataset and ArcMap doesn't seem to be able to cope with a 3D network (doing a network analysis in 2D just results in errors). First question: which program to use? Should I perform the network analysis as 2D in ArcMap and then somehow visualize it into 3D?   

I've been trying to follow the only instructions available (the link above), that is by making a route layer and then adding locations in ArcScene, but this too is problematic because I just want to find the route between a couple of points but this seems infeasible with the add locations tool...

So, if anyone has some suggestions on what to try next or where to look for help, please share your experiences or links. As I'm a beginner with this stuff, any help would be more than welcome. Also, if you know of any better workflow descriptions (than the link above) please let me know.

Cheers & thanks!

Outcomes