Missing and moved labels when converting to annotation using Maplex

05-24-2011 05:59 PM
AaronCole
New Contributor
I'm trying to figure out why my labels are moved and unplaced after converting to annotation.  Using Maplex they look great and when i convert about 1/2 to 2/3 of the labels don't place.  Also, the labels that are placed are not where they were using the Maplex engine.  I'm hoping there's an easy solution here.  It's as if when converting to annotation Maplex is no longer working.  Any suggestions on where to look?  I'm using ArcInfo10 and Maplex10.0.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonMorris
Occasional Contributor II
It sounds like you are encountering a bug with the software - conversion to anno should be a WYSIWYG experience. If you are getting different results with dynamic labels and annotation, you probably have a bug.

If you submit a support request to your local distributor or to ESRI Support Services an analyst such as myself will be happy to investigate the issue with you.
http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=homepage.requestSupport.gateway

Thanks,
0 Kudos
PawanVuppala
Occasional Contributor
Is it hiding the overlapping labels?  I remember there is an option to "Never Remove (Allow overlap" option in the conflict strategy tab.

Hope it helps.
It sounds like you are encountering a bug with the software - conversion to anno should be a WYSIWYG experience. If you are getting different results with dynamic labels and annotation, you probably have a bug.

If you submit a support request to your local distributor or to ESRI Support Services an analyst such as myself will be happy to investigate the issue with you.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
NeilCurri
New Contributor II
I know this is an old thread, but I was just having this issue myself and trying to find out how to deal with it. What I think the originator of this thread was describing was the difference between how well Maplex seems to label contour lines with how poorly they appear after converting to annotation. I've attached two screenshots. The first (LabelsByMaplex.jpg) shows the generous placement of labels by Maplex (shown with a halo around the labels):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13330[/ATTACH]

Contrast this to the comparatively stingy placement once converted to annotation (LabelsAnnotation.jpg), shown using feature outline masks (a little harder to spot):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13331[/ATTACH]

I've not found anything else on this so far.
0 Kudos
SabineBeutner
New Contributor
Hello

I guessed that this problem should be solved by now - but i get the same effects: perfect labels but missing and moved annotations.
my "parameters": about 75'000 Polyline vectors, reference scale 1:2'000/1:4'500, export all lables at reference scale=> Annotation empty, export all lables at full extent => moved annotations, 23% unplaced

What should I do - is there a workaround known??

Thanks

Thanks,
0 Kudos