Zoom to feature and export a jpeg

05-20-2011 07:47 AM
LeoQuayle
New Contributor
To all knowledgeable developers

I have over 400 basic maps to prepare which entails simply zooming to each of 400 features in a single shapefile and exporting a jpeg for each one. As part of the map I also have an inset dataframe showing the location of the feature in the greater scheme of things, and so I additionally have to set the feature's number into the definition query of layer in the inset map to isolate it there before exporting the jpeg.

I would love for someone to be able to point me in the direction of a script/s that can help me to automate this process... I am sure it must have been done before?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Leo
0 Kudos
5 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
If you're using ArcGIS 10, then you can use the Data Driven pages to do this. If you're using ArcGIS 9.x, check out my script to do this.
0 Kudos
LeoQuayle
New Contributor
Hi Ken

Thanks very much, that does appear to be what I am looking for (your script for 9.3)! I will hopefully be able to test it out this week!

Regards

Leo
0 Kudos
LeoQuayle
New Contributor
Hi Ken

Thanks again for your script, it has gone a long way to helping me achieve my task. I have a further question though. Is it possible to write a definition query into another layer? I am wanting to generate an inset map as per the attached image. This will need to be in a separate data frame though in the same map.

Your help is much appreciated!

Thanks

Leo
0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Hi Leo,

I don't think it currently has that capability for the inset maps, and unfortunately, I'm not updating this script any more.
0 Kudos
GrahamW
Occasional Contributor II
arcmapbook doest this pretty well in arcmap v9

http://code.google.com/p/arcmapbook/
0 Kudos