Upgrading a stand-alone application from VB2005 to VB2010, .exe disappears?

05-19-2011 09:37 AM
jihuawang
New Contributor
Hello,
I developed a stand-alone application using VB.net 2005 for GIS9.2 several years ago and the .exe file is generated in my_project\debug and works great.

Now I am upgrading this application using VB.net 2010 to be compatible with Arcgis 10 (with Visual studio 2010) according to the steps showing in this link

http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#/How_to_migrate_ArcGIS_9...

I recompiled my project in VB.net 2010 and there are no errors but some warnings(rebuild all succeeded).

My question is

I cannot see any .exe generated in my_project\bin or my_project\obj\debug but some .dll files. Is it normal? I am not sure whether my new project has been successfully rebuild though there is no error message.
How to get a stand-alone application (.exe) like what I got in VB.net2005?

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NeilClemmons
Regular Contributor III
Sounds like you changed the project type from Windows Application to Class Library.  If that's the case then you need to change it back.
0 Kudos
jihuawang
New Contributor
Hi, Neil,
Thank you very much! After I change project application type, .exe shows up in my_project\bin. Great!
But I found another problem when I specify the startup project. Do I need to specify one of my window form applicatioin in the startup project? I don't have a sub main in my project.
Also is there any sample ArcScript code written in VB.net 2010 for desktop 10 applicationi? I want to take a look and may find some hints.
Thanks a lot for your help!
0 Kudos