Field Calculator and Calculate Geometry EXTREMELY SLOW!!!

05-17-2011 11:30 AM
ThomasEmery
New Contributor II
We manage land records for a county that contains 191,532 parcels. Within the attribute table there are 4 fields which require us the calculate the geometry and 3 fields which which require the use of the field calculator. This took less than 5 minutes per field in 9.3.1 but takes over 20 minutes in 10.
This could potentially cause us to go back to 9.3.1 until something is resolved.

What in the world is going on? Has anyone encountered this and found a solution?

Thanks
0 Kudos
23 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
Are you, by chance, working on a remote desktop? We experienced very slow calculations until we changed a network setting (particularly one instructing the remote session to use our local machine's Documents and Settings folder).
0 Kudos
ThomasEmery
New Contributor II
No, I was working within a personal geodatabase on my local machine. This slow-down with the field calculator and calculate geometry really hurts our productivity. In 9.3.1 I could publish a new Parcel feature class in about an hour, now, in 10, it takes about 4 hours.
0 Kudos
BruceNielsen
Occasional Contributor III
Have you considered moving the data to a File Geodatabase? Personal GDBs tend to slow things down as they get larger, and can possibly corrupt the data when the size approaches 2Gb.
0 Kudos
ThomasEmery
New Contributor II
I guess I can try a file geodatabase next time but I created a new personal geodatabase for this task so I know size isn't the problem in this case.

Thanks for your idea though.
0 Kudos
BradClay
New Contributor
I recently had about 55000 records and also took a very long time for calculation. I finally gave up and calculated smaller selection of a few thousand and it worked fine, although a bit tedious to perform.
0 Kudos
ThomasEmery
New Contributor II
Yeah, that's basically what i had to do too. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, but not all too surprising I guess. I should have just stayed with 9.3.1. First no snake pin tool unless you go to the fabric and now very sub par geoprocessing. Yikes.
0 Kudos
KenHartling
Esri Contributor
No, I was working within a personal geodatabase on my local machine. This slow-down with the field calculator and calculate geometry really hurts our productivity. In 9.3.1 I could publish a new Parcel feature class in about an hour, now, in 10, it takes about 4 hours.

There is a bug in the 10.0 GDB where insert performance for PGDB is 3 times slower than it was in 9.3.1 and earlier.  I'm wondering if what you are seeing is related to this issue. If you can, please try with FGDB and let us know if your process starts to perform with acceptable performance.  If it does not, I'd like to get a reproducible case from you (exact command with parameters and data if possible) so that I can investigate what you are seeing. 

Thanks,
Ken
ESRI Geoprocessing Product Engineer
0 Kudos
JimPomplun
New Contributor II
this problem is not unique to person geodatabase format.  I see the calculation slow down in shapefiles, file geodatabases and in enterprise level geodatabases when comparing 10 vs 9.3.1.    9.3.1 wins!
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
this problem is not unique to person geodatabase format.  I see the calculation slow down in shapefiles, file geodatabases and in enterprise level geodatabases when comparing 10 vs 9.3.1.    9.3.1 wins!

Something to check that I didn't see mentioned in this thread yet: if you have a join active, you should disable it - or use the VBScript option in Field Calculator.

Bug" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMDYwNjc1]Bug NIM060675 Field Calculate performs very slowly on a layer with a join when using Python as the parser.

[post]45792[/post]
0 Kudos