kcrowell@portageinc.com

Observer Points broken in SP2?

Discussion created by kcrowell@portageinc.com on May 12, 2011
Latest reply on May 13, 2011 by kcrowell@portageinc.com
Hello, I did a few searches to see if this has come up in the fora but saw nothing; apologies if I missed it somehow.

After applying service pack 2, Observer Point calculations I could perform prior to the update failed, with an empty output raster and _usually_ a runtime error generated.  Due to various things happening I ended up rebuilding my machine, and when applying SP2 directly to a new arc10 install I only encountered the runtime error once while it always occurred in the case of SP1->SP2. I am using 64 bit Windows 7 under Parallels 6 so was able to then revert to a base-arc10 snapshot and apply SP1 and can again perform the calculation. This holds whether going through the toolbox or in a standalone python session through the arcpy module. I am using the Enthought Python Distribution 6.3-1 (Python 2.6.6).

The DEM is a 10 m model of the island of Hawai'i, with a ocean cells set to nodata. The observer points are a set of eight point features with offsetA=609.6 m (2000 ft) and offsetB=1.83 m (6 ft). This is the only configuration I tried due to time constraints.  Just wondering if anyone else has seen this or to at least raise the potential bug.

Outcomes