Extend / Trim Line (Editing toolbox)

05-10-2011 01:59 AM
SeldaSamiri
New Contributor
Hi there,

I have a stream network as polylines. But it was digitized badly so that the stream sections are not properly connected (some mm too long or too short).
I was very happy to find two tools to solve exactly this problem: Trim line and extend line in the Editing Toolbox. But when I apply it nothing happens! I tried extend/trim lengths from mm to 20m but the output is still the same as the input! What is wrong with this tool? Does anybody else has this problem?
I use ArcGIS 10 with Service Pack 2.

Thanks for any help,
Selda
0 Kudos
3 Replies
denisedavis
Occasional Contributor III
I'm not sure if this will help. I've encountered the same issue when I've had more than one feature selected. In my experience, these tools will only work on one feature at a time.
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
The Extend/Trim Line tools should work as you expected. Do you mind share a sample data with me (dlee@esri.com)? we can have a look if there is anything data specific.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
HardolphWasteneys
Occasional Contributor III
Hi there,

I have a stream network as polylines. But it was digitized badly so that the stream sections are not properly connected (some mm too long or too short).
I was very happy to find two tools to solve exactly this problem: Trim line and extend line in the Editing Toolbox. But when I apply it nothing happens! I tried extend/trim lengths from mm to 20m but the output is still the same as the input! What is wrong with this tool? Does anybody else has this problem?
I use ArcGIS 10 with Service Pack 2.

Thanks for any help,
Selda

Selda, 

There are 2 sets of similar trim and extend functions in 10 (along with a few others).   One set consists of geoprocessing tools available only for ArcEditor and INFO in the Editing toolbox (i.e. they will appear in the Editing Toolbox in ArcView, but not run).  The others are Editing tools that run in an edit session and are single item point and click tools.  They work in ArcView 10 as well as 9.x.

There was some confusion about these in a Desktop thread:  http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/30406-Editing-Tools-in-ArcToolBox-not-working-in-ArcGIS-Desktop-10?...

Perhaps that is the same issue here.

Hardolph
0 Kudos