Image service on Google Earth Pro

05-01-2011 02:19 AM
francescodi_vito
New Contributor
Hi guys,
i have any questions. Is it possible to add a Image Service on Google Earth Pro?...Is there any videos or link that i see?
Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III
On my practices, it ONLY works with Footprints, not with real image services (Google Earth, Google Earth Pro).

In other word, the image service can be added onto 'google images' (GE) or 'corporate images' (GE Pro), but only viewed as transparent layer (see the attached snapshots).

What we were doing is:

1. to get image service KMZ file from ArcGIS Services Directory (i.e., 'View In Google Earth'; not 'View Footprint In Google Earth');

2. to add its KMZ file into GE (google images) or GE Pro (corporate images) from GE Enterprise;

It was supposed to work with real image services. Unfortunately, this approach is not functional at all, at least in our trials (Dev, QA, Prod server 10 SP1).

In fact, even with footprint of image services (& features of map services), still not feasible to use in practice, because of some critical issues remaining, including poor caching/ slow refreshing of the image services (map services) in GE/GE Pro.

For more, open the PDF attached.
0 Kudos
larryzhang
Just be updated that the KML links (map services), which are created within ArcGIS Manager, can be properly displayed in GE or GE Pro with good refreshing or caching.

But, the network link of KMZ couldn't be created in the cluster hostname (saying PA01). That is, this link of URL only can be created at the active node (either PP10 or PP11). In other word, even though this function at ArcGIS Manager works somehow, it does not support cluster infrastructure & interface.

Inversely, the KMZ links saved from ArcGIS Services Directory, which are created from image services, still do not work at all.

However, the KMZ from ESRI services online like http://imagery.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/LandsatGLS/FalseColor/ImageServer?f=jsapi work very well. I am wondering if our server (10 with SP1) is not latest release.
0 Kudos
larryzhang
Just let you know that this issue of KMZ link is solved with SP2.

Again, our server is a standard cluster infrastructure with several nodes (also managing massive SAN as cluster resource).

Just be updated that the KML links (map services), which are created within ArcGIS Manager, can be properly displayed in GE or GE Pro with good refreshing or caching.

But, the network link of KMZ couldn't be created in the cluster hostname (saying PA01). That is, this link of URL only can be created at the active node (either PP10 or PP11). In other word, even though this function at ArcGIS Manager works somehow, it does not support cluster infrastructure & interface.

Inversely, the KMZ links saved from ArcGIS Services Directory, which are created from image services, still do not work at all.

However, the KMZ from ESRI services online like http://imagery.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/LandsatGLS/FalseColor/ImageServer?f=jsapi work very well. I am wondering if our server (10 with SP1) is not latest release.
0 Kudos