Aptana 3.0 + JSAPI code assist

04-29-2011 12:38 PM
HaroldBostic
Occasional Contributor II
Can I use the http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisserver/apis/javascript/arcgis/help/jsapi_start.htm#jsapi/ap... with Aptana 3.0?  If so, how do I associate the file as the interface for Aptana has changed somewhat so the directions are not necessarily helpful for me

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
20 Replies
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III
I have the same question. The page at http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/help/jsapi_start.htm says:

"Select Window -> Show Aptana View -> References. Select the Global References tab in the References view and enable the ArcGIS JSAPI plugin."

These settings don't exist in Aptana 3. Any clues?

Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos
Samúel_JónGunnarsson
New Contributor
I have been looking into utilizing Code Assist in Aptana Studio 3 and I can also verify that information provided by ArcGis applies only to Aptana Studio 2.

There is a guide called Migrating from Aptana Studio 2 to Aptana Studio 3 where the following is stated:

Studio 3 simplified greatly the concept of adding JavaScript content assist. Rather than a references view that needed to be constantly updated, we've instead allowed the user to drop content assist files into an existing project to get good code assist that way.

Aptana Studio 3 also has a guide for Using JavaScript Libraries and JavaScript Library Support where there are instructions on how to enabling code assistant for various javascript libraries such as dojo, jquery and others.

I unzipped the code assist plugin "com.esri.arcgis.jsapi.2.2_2.2.0.00001.jar" and under "support" there is a file called "arcgis_jsapi_2_2_oam.xml" which contains the code assist definitinon. In Using JavaScript Libraries there is a note that states the following:

The library you are using must have either a JSCA 1.0 Specification file, be documented using the ScriptDoc spec, be documented using VSDoc for JavaScript, or have a Aptana Studio 2.X code assist XML file. If using the Studio 2.X XML code assist file, you need to change the file extension to .sdocml.

So I renamed the arcgis_jsapi_2_2_oam.xml to called arcgis_jsapi_2_2_oam.sdocml and dropped the file into my Aptana Studio 3 project. Then I got the following sdocml problem in the "problems"-view:

An error occurred while parsing the documentation XML file.
<api> cannot be a child of <#document>

Element stack trace
===================
<#document>
  <api version="1.0"/>
</#document>

I think that the next step would be to update the jsapi22.zip and newer code assistant plugins so that they are compliant with the JSCA 1.0 Specification and ArcGis to provide jsapi22 as an .sdocml file.

But who should we talk to or what is the best way to get solution or assistance from arcgis developers that are maintaining the javascript libraries ?
0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

We've moved away from supporting code assist via a plug-in for a particular IDE (Aptana). Now we generate a type script definition file for the ArcGIS API for JavaScript.  Several development enviroments like Jet Brains and Visual Studio support the TypeScript definitions. Details can be found in the Esri jsapi-resources Github repo: jsapi-resources/typescript at master · Esri/jsapi-resources · GitHub

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor
samueljon - you are correct, we do need to update the Aptana code assist to work with the newly released version 3.0. We plan to update the code assist and will add it to the resource center once its ready.
0 Kudos
MikeLewis
New Contributor II
Hi Kelly,

Any idea when this will be done? It would be good to get content assist for the ArcGIS API for Javascript in Aptana 3.0.

Cheers,

Baldanders
0 Kudos
MichaelLoconte
New Contributor III
I am glad to see that ESRI is working on updating the Code Assist, I also am eager to try it out with Aptana Studio 3.
0 Kudos
Samúel_JónGunnarsson
New Contributor
Now that Javascript API has been updated to version 2.4 it would be interesting to know if the javascript developers at esri have put any work in providing code assist plugin for aptana 3. It looks like they haven't updated the code assist plugin page since it still refers to the jsapi 2.3: http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/help/jsapi_start.htm
0 Kudos
ValCannon
New Contributor III
It has been several months now. Has there been any progress in this area? Aptana Studio 2 can no longer install the Dojo toolkit plugin. So if do a new install of Studio 2 you can't install the Dojo toolkit, but if you install Studio 3 you can't install ArcGIS JSAPI code assist. What are the coders at esri using?
0 Kudos
ValCannon
New Contributor III
I stand corrected. Studio 2 does let you install the Dojo toolkit. It just gives you a very stern warning about how badly they want you to upgrade to Studio 3.
0 Kudos