Polygon - Dissolve; leaves "cracks" in the polygon feature

04-29-2011 04:09 AM
denisedavis
Occasional Contributor III
I have hundreds of polygons that I'd like to put together to create one polygon. In the past I would simply use the Dissove tool and this worked fine. The polygons I'm trying to put together now are parcels and they are separated wherever there is a road right-of-way. When I do the Dissolve, the polygon has "cracks" in it. I've gone through most of the tools I thought might get rid of the "cracks" (Eliminate, Integrate, Union) and can't seem to get a solid polygon feature.  Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
13 Replies
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
You might:

1. run a repair geometry (after saving a backup).
2. run a clean
3. if you only have a few of these you probably could select them in an edit session, modify feature and delete the vertices.
4. if have ArcInfo use feature to lines and if there are any "crack" lines delete them, then run feature to polygon.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
if hundreds to one is what you want, have you tried the following
1  estimate/measure the gap between the polygons to get some sense on the space you need to close (ie say 10 meters)
2  buffer the polygons using the dissolve option, using a buffer width slightly larger than your estimated gap in 1 (say 5.1 meters).  At this stage you should have one big polygon with no gaps.
3  negatively buffer the result in 2 ( ie -5.1 meters)
This should hopefully, but no guarantee return what you want, but this will depend upon the polygon configurations prior to the initial buffer.
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
Note sure if this will get you to your expectations, but open an edit session and select all of the features.  Then use the merge function from the editor menu.  This will take all of the feature and create a single multipatch feature.  If you then would like for them to be individual features you can use the Multipart to Singlepart tool.
0 Kudos
denisedavis
Thanks for all the responses. I've tried everything suggested except for the buffer that Dan suggested. This works well aside from the rounding of the edges. I'm working in ArcGIS 10 with an ArcInfo license. The option to make the corners flat/squared is grayed out so I'm not able to change it in the Buffer Geoprocessing pop up form. Any suggestions as to how I could get my straight edges back after the buffer is appreciated. And thank you again for everyone's help!
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
did you perform the negative buffer? after the initial buffer?
0 Kudos
denisedavis
Oh yes. And it worked Great! Except for the rounding of all the edges. Do you know how I can get the option to change the edges in the geoprocessing tool from rounded to flat/straight?
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
As indicated in my original thread
but this will depend upon the polygon configurations prior to the initial buffer.
the outcome would depend upon the original polygon configuration.  do you have any images of pre-buffer...buffer and ... negative buffer that demonstrates your situation.  It may be a case of getting too exhuberant in your buffer values, both positive and negative...and it might take a few passes to obtain what you want.  So pictures would help along with gap details and buffers used.
0 Kudos
DonovanCameron
Occasional Contributor II
In the thread, 'filling in' spaces between polygons, that post suggests using the Feature to Polygon tool with a defined cluster tolerance.

Might work for you since you are dealing with lots of Right of Ways with a similar gap distance.
0 Kudos
denisedavis
  So pictures would help along with gap details and buffers used.

I've attached a .docx with images. I've tried different buffers and I'm still not getting the option to keep the squared corners. Perhaps there is a setting I'm not aware of so I can reset the default (rounded edges) to squared. I'll look into this, but if anyone knows where this setting is and can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again for all your help.
0 Kudos