Editiable data services

04-27-2011 08:28 AM
AndrewPratt
New Contributor III
I want to use iPad's and iPhones to collect field data (photo's and data of structures) and submit them to our ArcGIS Server.

As I understand it I need to publish a service that is editable which means I need to upgrade to ArcGIS Server10. We're planning on doing that shortly.

I am also under the impression that I'll need to make this editable data service available to ArcGIS Online so that the iPad/iPhone clients can connect to it using the ArcGIS app.

Since ArcGIS Online can't see secure data services though doesn't that mean I need to publish my editable data service with out any security in place? That's not an option!

Assuming I'm correct is my only recourse to build our own app using the SDK for iOS?

Edit: I've been watching an iOS webinar from esri and I think it implies that we could host our own maps using Content Server but we'd still have issues surrounding the need to serve them publicly or else hide the server behind a firewall and use the VPN software to access it.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
PattyRueger
New Contributor II
Andrew,
I'm on the same hunt.  I found a document (iOS resource center) that states "you may want to open and use maps within the confines of your corporate intranet and leverage the VPN capabilities of your iOS device".  That being said, I guess we have to figure out how to VPN into our intranet.  You might want to hunt for the above mentioned document. Please post your progress. I will do likewise.
Patty
0 Kudos
AndrewPratt
New Contributor III
VPN's don't help is you have to make your web services public to be consumed by ArcGIS Online.
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III
I don't have ArcGIS Server 10 yet, but I think you may want to try adding your server in the ArcGIS for iOS application on the Find Maps tab (instead of putting your map on ArcGIS Online). This is probably what you were referring to regarding Content Server.
0 Kudos
PattyRueger
New Contributor II
Andrew,
You do not have to use arcGis Online for this...
We are looking into using EC2 to host our editable service (secure). 
Then we'll use the protocol described in the following pdf.   I believe this file will also be hosted in the cloud....

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobile/10.0/apis/iphone/AppGuide/Maps.pdf

Have you tried using the "playground app"?  Our goal is to slip out the oil and gas service found in the playground app, and insert our own EC2 service......

At this point our biggest question is the cost of the EC2 service....
0 Kudos
AndrewPratt
New Contributor III
I haven't got ArcServer 10 installed yet so I'm waiting for that before i can test further. Thanks for the PDF though 🙂
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Andrew,
You do not have to use arcGis Online for this...
We are looking into using EC2 to host our editable service (secure). 
Then we'll use the protocol described in the following pdf.   I believe this file will also be hosted in the cloud....

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobile/10.0/apis/iphone/AppGuide/Maps.pdf

Have you tried using the "playground app"?  Our goal is to slip out the oil and gas service found in the playground app, and insert our own EC2 service......

At this point our biggest question is the cost of the EC2 service....

One thing to keep in mind on the Data Collection Playground found within the ArcGIS iOS app is that each night the data is cleaned/refreshed so no data that is created throughout the data by you or others will be there the next day. If you wish to use that data model you can grab the map package here and then host it in your SDE  and publish as a feature service and introduce it into arcgis.com or explorer to do data collection.

Also for vpn apps for iPhone iOS I use Juno Pulse and I haven't had any issues with it.

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Occasional Contributor III
I'll throw in a few thoughts based on my recent experience with getting a test service up and running using our Server instance sitting entirely behind a firewall (no public-facing capability).  I haven't had a chance to explore the editing side, so I cannot speak to that.

I connect via the built-in VPN capability of the iPhone, so a third party VPN client should be purely optional.  In the ArcGIS app, set up your ArcGIS Server connection by clicking the 'Add ArcGIS Server' button.  You need to make sure you are actually connected to your network via VPN!

In the address field, I needed to use the IP address instead of our internal name for the host (i.e. 55.55.55.55/arcgis/mobile).

Using the pdf discussing publishing your map services, I created a text file containing the JSON code for the basemap and operational layers in my test service.  My stumbling block was using the internal name for our server rather than the IP address because I simply copied the map service URLs from my flex app configuration files.  Once I corrected that bonehead mistake I was able to actually view the service in the app.  Follow the pdf instructions for taking the JSON code and publishing it.

I realize after playing with my map service in the app that I will need to create specialized mobile-centric map services.  For example, some of my existing map services have a few layers within them--some visible by default, others not visible.  In my flex app, the user has the ability to check and uncheck the visibility of layers within map services, but the ArcGIS app appears to not have that ability.  The takeaway is that whatever map services you present for this app need to structured such that you can provide data visibility at the map service level (the app allows you to turn on/off various individual map services, but not the layers within those services).

Hope this helps.  I look forward to hearing more about users' experiences with the editing aspect of the app.
0 Kudos