tuckerde

Map book, data driven pages for a polyline: Grid Index vs Strip Map??

Discussion created by tuckerde on Apr 26, 2011
Latest reply on Aug 16, 2013 by PSUJim
I need some help in creating a map book.  My project area is a pipeline that curves, turns, and has extensions coming off it, sometimes relatively parallel to major line.  I've tried using the grid index and the strip map index tools to designate/reference my pipeline and have found pros and cons to both, but neither tool functions the way I need it to.

The strip map index follows the pipeline, but the polygons created are angled.  If I were to put this together as a map book, I'd have a lot of overlapping that is not desired.  The grid index doesn't provide a "best fit" to my line and yields extra polygons.  I know I can move and delete the polygons for a better fit to my line, but then I can't Calculate Adjacent Fields, etc. because now that I have moved the polygons, they don't neatly line up (plus the page name/number no longer follows any logical manner). 

I've been trying to learn this process from the example in the Help menu, but my project area is so much different, it's been frustrating trying to adapt it to my needs.  Another issue is that I'm working in a State Plane coordinate system and the Help example uses UTM.  It also requires a "Calculate UTM Zone" tool which is used in the Data Driven Pages as a Spatial Reference.

Basically, I need to create a map book with an index layer that follows along the pipeline, much like the grid index, but with a "best fit" to my line.  And it needs a spatial reference. 

Up until now, I've been setting up bookmarks and manually adding match lines.  I'd pdf each bookmark separately (sometimes 80+ bookmarks/pdf'd maps) and change the map number as needed.  I would really like to be able to use this new functionality in ArcMap 10 (dynamic text included).

It doesn't seem that it should be as complicated as I'm finding it to be.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Outcomes