Open this map in ArcGIS 10 doesn't work

04-25-2011 10:08 AM
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
I can add online maps/layers to Desktop 10 if I add them from ArcMap using Add Data, but if I'm looking at a map in ArcGIS Online and I click the link "Open this map in ArcGIS Desktop 10" it doesn't work. I get the "Opening item.pkinfo" dialog and it defaults to ArcGIS File Handler and I click OK. Then I get a "could not open the specified file error" every time. If ArcMap is closed, it does start the application, but then the error appears. If ArcMap is open, I just get the error.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
That particular map package may be corrupt.  Which one are you trying to open from ArcGIS Online?  Do you get the same error for other map packages from the site?

-Timothy
0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes, I get the same error with those maps.  I did find the following KB Article:

Error:  Could not open the specified file

This seems to apply to map packages that were created in 10 sp1 but are being opened by 10 sp0.  I have service pack 1 installed so for me this fix does not apply.

-Timothy
0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
same here -- I also have SP1
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
Sorry about the issue you are seeing. At the beginning of March we updated the internal format used by web maps in ArcGIS Online in order to introduce some new functionality, like the really nice configurable popups for map service layers, and the ability to save these popups out of the web map they are defined in and into the ArcGIS.com entries for the map services you own, so the popups get used automatically in any web map the service gets added into. Unfortunately ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 can't open those web maps, so that is why you seeing a message when you try and open a web map that uses the new format. Any web map created or modified after 2 March 2011 is in the new format. Web maps with a last modified date of 2 March or earlier can still be opened in ArcGIS Desktop 10.0. We are still working on releasing a patch for 10.0 so that it can open web maps in the new format. Sorry that we did not get this fix into 10.0 Service Pack 2.

If you want to add the services used in a web map to ArcGIS Desktop 10 (or 9.3) go to the Details page of the web map, scroll down to the Map Contents section where the services used in the web map are listed, click the link to the service you want to add into your map, and then click 'View in ArcMap' in the ArcGIS services directory page that appears. (If you do that and you get a broken layer in your map don't give up yet: there is probably a configuration issue in the server that you are accessing that prevents the correct connection being made, but if you copy the first part of the URL of the server and delete the 'REST/' part of the URL, you should still be able to connect to the server in your Catalog via the GIS Servers > Add ArcGIS Server command).

To one add any of the ArcGIS basemaps into ArcMap 10, go to this page or use the File > Add Data > Add Basemap command. To add a basemap into ArcGIS Desktop 9.3, go to this page or use the File > Add Data From ArcGIS Online command.
0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
Rupert, thanks -- that did the trick.
0 Kudos
MichaelBishopp
Occasional Contributor
Rupert,

When do you think the patch will be available?  I would like to bring my added edits (the graphics) from ArcGIS.com maps into ArcMap for conversion from graphics to geodb features and I can't seem to do that until this patch you speak of is complete.

Michael

Sorry about the issue you are seeing. At the beginning of March we updated the internal format used by web maps in ArcGIS Online in order to introduce some new functionality, like the really nice configurable popups for map service layers, and the ability to save these popups out of the web map they are defined in and into the ArcGIS.com entries for the map services you own, so the popups get used automatically in any web map the service gets added into. Unfortunately ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 can't open those web maps, so that is why you seeing a message when you try and open a web map that uses the new format. Any web map created or modified after 2 March 2011 is in the new format. Web maps with a last modified date of 2 March or earlier can still be opened in ArcGIS Desktop 10.0. We are still working on releasing a patch for 10.0 so that it can open web maps in the new format. Sorry that we did not get this fix into 10.0 Service Pack 2.

If you want to add the services used in a web map to ArcGIS Desktop 10 (or 9.3) go to the Details page of the web map, scroll down to the Map Contents section where the services used in the web map are listed, click the link to the service you want to add into your map, and then click 'View in ArcMap' in the ArcGIS services directory page that appears. (If you do that and you get a broken layer in your map don't give up yet: there is probably a configuration issue in the server that you are accessing that prevents the correct connection being made, but if you copy the first part of the URL of the server and delete the 'REST/' part of the URL, you should still be able to connect to the server in your Catalog via the GIS Servers > Add ArcGIS Server command).

To one add any of the ArcGIS basemaps into ArcMap 10, go to this page or use the File > Add Data > Add Basemap command. To add a basemap into ArcGIS Desktop 9.3, go to this page or use the File > Add Data From ArcGIS Online command.
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
Rupert,

When do you think the patch will be available?  I would like to bring my added edits (the graphics) from ArcGIS.com maps into ArcMap for conversion from graphics to geodb features and I can't seem to do that until this patch you speak of is complete.

Michael

Hi Michael,

The patch that will allow ArcMap 10.0 to open web maps in the latest format is still being tested and I'll ping this thread when it is announced. It will be a few weeks still before this happens. Sorry about the delay. I should have also mentioned in my post above that while this patch will let you open the new web map format inside ArcMap, it doesn't include support for note features (features and annotation drawn on the map using the editable layers functionality) so with the patch installed if you open a web map containing note features, they won't appear in ArcMap. We are working on adding this functionality so that note features get automatically converted into geodatabase feature layers when you open a web map in ArcMap but this is planned for the 10.1 release which we will be talking about more around the time of the User Conference. Actually for the workflow you are interested in, where you enable a user to create and edit features via the web which you then collect and bring into your geodatabase, our recommended workflow would be to use ArcGIS Server to create a map service with feature access capability turned on (i.e. create a feature service). You can then create a web map in ArcGIS Online that includes your feature service that people can access either using ArcGIS Explorer Online or ArcGIS.com's map viewer so they can create and edit features in your service.

Here's a video of a session from the 2010 User Conference that is intro and overview of using feature services in web maps. It takes you through how to serve up a feature service, how users work with it out of the box in a web map to edit your database (no development required!!!!) and how it all works.
http://video.esri.com/watch/156/web-editing-in-arcgis-server-10
0 Kudos
FraserRoberts
New Contributor
Hi Michael,

The patch that will allow ArcMap 10.0 to open web maps in the latest format is still being tested and I'll ping this thread when it is announced. It will be a few weeks still before this happens. Sorry about the delay. I should have also mentioned in my post above that while this patch will let you open the new web map format inside ArcMap, it doesn't include support for note features (features and annotation drawn on the map using the editable layers functionality) so with the patch installed if you open a web map containing note features, they won't appear in ArcMap. We are working on adding this functionality so that note features get automatically converted into geodatabase feature layers when you open a web map in ArcMap but this is planned for the 10.1 release which we will be talking about more around the time of the User Conference. Actually for the workflow you are interested in, where you enable a user to create and edit features via the web which you then collect and bring into your geodatabase, our recommended workflow would be to use ArcGIS Server to create a map service with feature access capability turned on (i.e. create a feature service). You can then create a web map in ArcGIS Online that includes your feature service that people can access either using ArcGIS Explorer Online or ArcGIS.com's map viewer so they can create and edit features in your service.

Here's a video of a session from the 2010 User Conference that is intro and overview of using feature services in web maps. It takes you through how to serve up a feature service, how users work with it out of the box in a web map to edit your database (no development required!!!!) and how it all works.
http://video.esri.com/watch/156/web-editing-in-arcgis-server-10

Is this patch ready yet ? I was at the UC and have created a map at ARCGIS online and want to open it in DT back at the office, but I get the same error message. As its not my server I cannot edit any of the services so I am stuck
0 Kudos