Generate Spatial Weight Matrix

04-17-2011 09:31 PM
HuaqiYuan
New Contributor
I am wondering why under generate spatial weight matrix there is no option for "zone of indifference". Anyone know why?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
LaurenRosenshein
New Contributor III
Hi Franky,

That is a great question!  Basically, the zone of indifference is not an option in the Generate Spatial Weights Matrix tool because we made the decision that for almost all use cases the difference between zone of indifference and fixed distance band is very, very small.  Once the distance band (d) gets large (even above 10, for instance), the weight of features outside of that distance band is 1/d...which becomes negligible for most use cases).  We still have zone of indifference in the Hot Spot Analysis tool and others because once you provide a parameter option you have to continue to provide those parameters for backward compatibility, but when we designed the Generate Spatial Weights Matrix tool we decided not to include it.  I would suggest running the same analysis with Fixed Distance Band, and you should see very, very similar results. 

Hope this helps!

Lauren Rosenshein
Geoprocessing Product Engineer
0 Kudos
TimothyElliott
New Contributor III
With these different functions for the definition of the neighborhood is it possible to have a means to specify your own parameters or formula. I understand that the zone of indifference is actually very helpful but if it were possible to change the formula from 1/d to say 1-(1/d) or even 1/(d/2) etc as this would allow more flexibility as there are many more cases in which the relationship of the data cannot be analysed with the standard functions.

ideally it would be best if the Gi* function could have a zone of indifference with a Gaussian trend from the zone boundary not starting at the central point.
0 Kudos
LaurenRosenshein
New Contributor III
Hi Tim,

That's a great question!  Actually, almost all of the spatial statistics tools are python scripts, which means that you have access to the underlying code!  If you right click on the Generate Spatial Weights Matrix tool and choose to "Edit" it, it will open in your script editor of choice.  From there you can go ahead and make any changes that you want!  My suggestion would be to save the original script files before you start making changes, just to make sure you can always revert back if need be.  🙂
0 Kudos
AttentivernKauk
New Contributor
Using data matrix sdk for .net to generate data matrix images for .NET Windows applications.
0 Kudos
fenden
by
New Contributor

I dont't know which barcode generator you were using. But I think maybe your barcode generator don't support this set the size of barcode.

I use .net data matrix generate sdk. there are size options, so you can customize the width height and so on.

00.png

0 Kudos