mizes

How can I assign values to buffers and then join/aggregate onto points within them?

Discussion created by mizes on Apr 15, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 15, 2011 by dkwiens
My data set includes point shapefiles for schools and street line shapefiles with truck traffic attribute data. I have selected a portion of the streets that are the most heavily trafficked by trucks and set up three buffers at 100m, 200m and 300m. I want to assign values to each buffer that represent proximity to highly trafficked streets (say, 3 points for 100m, 2 for 200m, etc.) to get an idea of which schools are most overburdened with proximity to roads.

First, I need to be able to attach "point values" from the multiple buffers that schools lie within to create a new score attribute in the schools point shapefile. Doing a join based on location will only attach the attributes from a single buffer it lies within...I need to attach and aggregate scores from multiple buffers that points lie within. Often, the schools lie within multiple buffers of differing and identical point values and need to be aggregated into one score for the point shapefile.

So, two steps I need help with:
1-Attaching values to buffers
2-Joining and aggregating these values in the points that lie within multiple buffers.

Outcomes